Snow mode

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrtp4

Reaction score
Anyone else have this problem?

It snows constantly now in Ontario, so I keep my 2011 LR4 in 'Snow' mode all the time. Works great. When I turn on the truck it always remembers it is in Snow mode, both the 4x4 info screen and the driver's screen show the little Snow mode icon.

But often - roughly half the time - when I turn on the car the green unlock images do NOT appear on the center/rear diffs in the 4x4 info screen. Even though it clearly knows it is in Snow mode. The other 50% of the time, they show up as they should. Seems totally random - no correlation with how long the truck was turned off, or anything else.

When the green unlock icons do not appear in the 4x4 info screen, if I switch to Normal mode, then back to Snow mode, they re-appear (100% of the time). Maybe some kind of boot-up glitch?

Anyone else see this problem? Can anyone else reproduce it?

And here's a question: what does the 4x4 info screen REALLY show? i.e. If the green unlocks do not appear on the screen, does that mean they are really not being controlled? Or is it just a glitch in the display software, and they actually ARE being controlled, just not displayed properly?

thanks!
Matt

erdoc38

Reaction score
I've noticed this as well, though it seems as though the lock icons are gone every time the truck is shut off and restarted. As to your second question, I don't have a clue, but hopefully it's just a display issue.
Ryan

ByGuile

Reaction score
Weird....... I am going to go try it now.

And yes, I am also in Ontario, and yes I too am keeping the Terrain Response dialed to Grass/Gravel/Snow.

mrtp4

Reaction score
The snow mode works at any speed (low range or high range). Biggest difference seems to be a very noticeable change in throttle response.

Presumably the locking differentials are also engaged when required, although several people appear to have the same issue when restarting the truck in snow mode - nobody is sure if they will 'really' engage when their icons are not displayed on the 4x4 info screen.

tim-in-ca

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw this as well .. turning the Terrain Response knob back to normal then to snow caused the locking diff icons to reappear.

The other thing I noticed that while in snow mode, you get a display in the center screen when you turn the wheels any more than 15 degrees or so showing you the direction they are in. I presume this is to help you when you are stuck and need to know what direction your tires are pointing?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM