So I drove the 2014 Today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a short, 15 minute test drive. I'll schedule a longer one later. HSE model with Vision, Climate options and maybe a couple of other things.

Paired my iPhone 5 and it worked easily. Then found how to get it to play music from my phone via Bluetooth. I found it relatively easy. Sound was good but this was the base audio, not the upgraded one.

Touch screen worked well enough with my polarized glasses - a concern for me because I prefer polarized and they don't work as well with my MDX. Not perfect in the LR4 but better and I could see everything.

OK. Drive time. Start the engine and the shift "knob" raises up in the middle of the center console. That would take some getting used to. Not a big deal when you are just putting it in Drive and then off you go. But if you want to quickly move to Sport mode and downshift to leverage engine compression you need to rotate the dial then use the paddle shifters to downshift. Paddle shifters only work in Sport mode (unlike my MDX where I can use them to force a shift even in D with the paddle shifters and rely on the car to put it back when it is appropriate - sort of a semi-automatic.)

I expect everyone wants to know how the engine felt. Of course I could only compare to my 2014 Acura MDX. I would say it was better than expected for what is clearly a "truck" vs a performance-oriented Suburban Utility Vehicle like the MDX. I had no problem pulling onto the interstate, passing other cars and pulling up a short hill on the interstate. I "floored it" up a couple of hills and it was fine. No whiplash but far better than I used to with my 1998 Land Cruiser. ;-)

Now the weird thing is the Eco Start/Stop feature. It reminded me of driving a hybrid. When you come to a stop everything (OK, not everything but most things that make noise) stops. Take your foot off the break and it starts back up. It didn't take long to get used to but if you didn't expect it you would have thought the engine died. There is a hard button to turn it off.

As for the engine I don't foresee a problem but I would need a lot more time in the saddle. I am going to schedule a much longer "take-the-truck-for-a-couple-hours" test drive over the next couple of weeks.

I like the Blind Spot Warning feature in the mirrors. I have that in my MDX and it is very handy.

The sales person did point out that many think the 2015 model with have an aluminum body like the other RR vehicles and that in the process they might alter the shape a bit. Not sure if I would like the style change though I wouldn't mind the reduced weight. I may just wait until the 2015 gets revealed before I make a decision.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, consistent with many other owners of the new RR and RRS, 99% of them dislike the start/stop thingie... I guess it takes some getting used to. Disappointing, but not surprising, to see that the paddle shifters only operate in Sport mode, though. Good catch on that one.

Of all the new features introduced with the 2014, I will miss the Blind Spot Monitoring gizmo the most. I stuck a small wide angle mirror on the driver's side mirror of my 2013 for that which makes me look like a big rig, but an electronic warning is much more civilized, and safer than a small stick-on mirror. My wife's car has it and it works great on both sides of the car.

A few months ago there was heavy speculation that the redesigned, lightweight successor to the Discovery / LR4 would be officially revealed early this year in Geneva as a 2015MY, and it would go on sale around the end of 2014... But we would have spotted some test mules here and there on the web if we were really this close to an all-new LR4, and I have seen nothing for a while now. Methinks those reports were inaccurate and it will be another year and a half before this redesign really happens.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might be able to enable paddle shifters in drive position by scrolling thru the option menu. I know that is the case with the jag I recieved as a loaner. But I wouldn't see why you would want to use them other than sport mode unless ur towing and need a little more power.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, samcarloso. That is something I will check out during my long test drive. In fact, if people have reasonable requests for things to test I will try to do so. Probably the week after next.

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I could not stand on the loaner was the Eco start/stop. I found myself always hitting the switch to disable start/stop every time I turned the car on. It would have been nice if you would do the opposite and enable start/stop ONLY if you wanted it.

However the engine is much quieter and has no hesitation. But I would def. prefer v8 grunt over 6 on a SUV.

Last edited:

samcarloso

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I did notice on start/stop was that the a/c compressor turns coolant off. Can you test this on lr4. I'm sure it's not a huge deal up north. But here in south Texas that is the last thing you need sitting in suit with 100 deg. weather at a stop light.

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up about some of these items to look out for. I know I will not only be focused on the drive terrain but the vehicles interior dimensions to be able to hold mountain bikes and other items.

Weather is currently calling for rain so I hope that moves out of the forecast and I can get some quality time with the vehicle so I can add my $0.02.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great points. I am disappointed to hear that the paddle shifters can only be used in S mode. The dealer in my area doesn't have a 2014 yet, but I am looking forward to test driving it when they get it. Is the blind spot monitoring system a part of the vision assist package?

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great points. I am disappointed to hear that the paddle shifters can only be used in S mode. The dealer in my area doesn't have a 2014 yet, but I am looking forward to test driving it when they get it. Is the blind spot monitoring system a part of the vision assist package?

Yes.

attachment.php

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I did notice on start/stop was that the a/c compressor turns coolant off. Can you test this on lr4. I'm sure it's not a huge deal up north. But here in south Texas that is the last thing you need sitting in suit with 100 deg. weather at a stop light.

If I remember correctly when I test drove a new RRS awhile back I was told that the start stop function does not engage if the engine is not yet warmed up or if the AC is required.

Examples of when the car will perform an Eco Stop:

- The car comes to a complete stop
- The driver’s foot is on the brake
- The engine is warmed up
- The driver’s seatbelt is buckled
- The transmission is in “Drive”
- The primary and secondary batteries are fully charged
- The temperature outside is between 0 and 40 degrees Celsius
- The vehicle must have been driven since startup

Examples of factors which can prevent an Eco Stop:

- The car is on an angle over 15 degrees
- The A/C compressor is needed to cool the cabin or defog the windshield
- Heat is needed to warm the interior
- Power steering assist is needed (The vehicle will either restart or keep running)
- The hood is opened
- The system is manually turned off by pressing a button on the dashboard

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99