SoCal LR3 Rear Diff Service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not far behind in converting my spare diff into a locking in with the ARB product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I'm dropping my rig at O'side Driveline on Monday. They quoted me a day of labor to R&R the carrier and about 3 hours of bench time on the rebuild. Seems a little high but I'd rather start high and revise down. The estimate is about what it'd cost me to swap for a reman'd unit doing the work myself and on my back. I figure for about the same price, I'll left someone with a lift do the job.

He did mention there's been an uptick in LR3 owners pulling into his shop. Could it be this thread?

I should have it back late next week so I'll report price, etc. I'm not doing an ARB locker and I don't have the factory locking diff. Just a straight rebuild.

evsteroo

Reaction score
mflecklr3, that was my LR3, I just got it back today. Paul at Oceanside also mentioned to me that they had another LR3 coming in! It's really cool to know it's another forum member. I'm so happy I finally got this done. The bearing noise is gone. I had them do the full bearing kit with an ARB locking differential.

Here's a photo of a couple of the rusty bearings that came out of my differential. They all looked like this. The cages were all covered in surface rust. It seems like the previous owners not only never serviced the diffs, but I think they had let the truck sit for a while before selling it, and the condensation/evaporation cycles caused the built up moisture to form rust.

20210306_202527.jpg

mflecklr3

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. What was your price out the door (excluding the ARB unit)?

evsteroo

Reaction score
I've just run the SS air hose from the engine bay to the rear diff, so here are a couple pics of the install for those interested.

I used the Rubicon Express 12' SS Air Hose, and was super disappointed because instead of including two of the same fitting, the one pictured here (AN/JIC -03 Flared Male to BSPP -02 Straight Thread) they include ONE of these and another AN/JIC -03 to Flared Male to AN/JIC -03 Straight Thread. Basically this fitting doesn't exist in industry, and I ended up having to purchase an ARB fitting (AN/JIC -04 Flared Male to BSPP -02 Straight Thread) and a reducer (AN/JIC -04 Flared Female to AN/JIC -04 Flared Male).

This is moot for most people because they'll probably just use the crappy push-to-connect plastic hose, but I hate that stuff.

20210315_132108.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV