sorry but another tire question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dronedog

i have a SE with the 18" rims. it sounds like the 32 dia tires will rub so i was wondering if there are any 31" or so that may fit a little better yet give me a little more tread than the Goodyears. i just bought another rim so i could add the same size as a spare. Suggestions or should i just stay with the stock size.
Thanks
the dog

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the often reccomended Nitto Terra Grapplers are 31.6" or thereabouts. They rub ever so slighty in certain circumstances. They are a bit more agressive then many other A/T's out there, so there is a bit of tire noise, but it's not buy any means intrusive or loud. The grip they have on wet roads and in all sorts of off road conditions is marvelous.

I like my Nitto's a lot, and just bought a spare set for the future (they were used but for a great price).

Regards,

NW

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I think to fit the Nitto in the spare tire well you will need to let all the air out, and then keep a small compressor with you. I havn't tried it yet, but will soon. (have to buy a new 18" rim first, ugh :-(

J

jam

The spare with a Nitto tire will fit underneath if it is aired down.
I carry a small compressor in case I need it.
The quick release trailer hitch will fit with the Nitto aired down... but barely...
you have to jam it in there.
Mine have never rubbed.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the popular Nitto Terra Grappler A/T size is 285/60/18

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good for you! BTW, I just posted some info about off road use of the Nitto's here:
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=25715&postcount=15

FWIW, I rarely air down, and only have on those three particular trails (Berdoo Canyon, Brooklyn Mine Jeep Trail, and Last Chance Canyon). I did not need to on Berdoo, but I think it was wise on the other two. However, a friend with an HSE7 on Nitto's did not air down on Last Chance and had no problems. The Nitto's are pretty darn good tires.

D

dronedog

got mine on today. the guy did not believe they were going to fit. he was sure they would hit on turns. but all seems well. just a couple of observations for anyone looking. initial ride home, they drive fine. not much road noise but they only have 20 miles on them. my guess is when they hit the 25m mark my stock tires had on them, they will be singing pretty well. but that is expected with an A/T tire. i also felt like the wind had a liitle more affect on the vehicle. it was breezy today but that could have been my imagination. overall no complaints and i am ready to try them out. they do look better in my opinion. i did ask the guy putting them on what he thinks of them and he thought they were amoung the best A/T tire out there and had not seen any problems in the 3 years they have been selling them.
we will seeeeee
the dog

D

dronedog

just a question for you guys that have run these tires for a while:
what tire pressures do you run on the road? do you stick with what LR suggests or do you inflate a little more or less. with the new ones i had put, the tire store put 37lbs in all the tires. i dropped the front to 34 to soften the ride some and left the back alone. i wasn't sure if you guys found a better prssure for better wear or ride.
Thanks
the dog

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635