Spare Tire Access with Drawer Kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joey_Z LR3

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking to install a sliding drawer kit (FrontRunner) and was wondering if anyone has addressed obvious dilemma of spare tire access problem? I do not want to hang the spare tire off of the tailgate.

Rover Runner

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I BUILT MY OWN SLIDING DRAWER AND SPARE TIRE RACK

I got so tired of trying to find A SLIDING DRAWER that I decided to build my own. Using garage door tracks for the rails, I built a simple platform and made it accessible from the passenger side to the rear. It travels 3' to the rear. It cost me about $125 to build it. If I was to do it again, I'd make the sliding drawer out of 1/2" plywood.

Here's the Vimeo link.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many times have you had to change a tire that you got sick of the spare being on the roof? :)

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
Looking to install a sliding drawer kit (FrontRunner) and was wondering if anyone has addressed obvious dilemma of spare tire access problem? I do not want to hang the spare tire off of the tailgate.
I’ve been thinking about attaching a drill motor and socket over the winch then adding a remote switch to cycle it. We have a full dog crate in the back and I have no interest in unpacking cargo and the dog crate to access the spare. Long term Id like to build a swing out tire carrier and use the under body cavity for additional storage (fuel, water).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM