Starter motor runs continuously

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But motor won't turn over. I was thinking fuel pump or fuel pump relay but LR Seattle says my 2005 SE-V8 has thrown no codes for a fuel problem, they observed no problem and they were stumped. After I left them last week the problem has of course reappeared, inconveniently. I have a brand new battery and no problem with the starter engaging and turning the motor but it does not fire up and the starter just cranks until I turn it off with the key. Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen several fuel pumps go out, but that will not be an intermittent issue, it's good or bad.

The three things I have seen a few times each are crank sensor, ignition capacitor, and as strange as it sounds, starter.

Ignition capacitor and crank sensor will both cause no spark, capacitor is cheap, and easy to replace.

There have been two issues with the starter causing a cranking no start. The first is simple to tell, it will crank, but not fast enough for the engine to turn over. The windings develop higher then ideal resistance, which effectively acts as lower then normal cranking power, and cannot spin the engine up to speed, needs to get to about 120rpm before it can fire over.

The other issue with the starter is due to interference. There have been instances of it emitting too much RF noise, and interfering with the crank sensor signal. This is rare, but has been reported.

One other possibility is that the throttle body is heavily carbon fouled. This can cause a lack of air to enter the engine during cranking, and by the time the engine tries to open the throttle any, it has already flooded the plugs. To check this, press your foot all the way down on the gas pedal, and let it crank over. Repeat after 30 seconds of 'cool down' time for the starter. Then crank it normally, but press the gas pedal about a 1/4 way down as soon as you start cranking.

Probably not the starter, those failures are rare. I'd be taking a look at the throttle body, and then the ignition system.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed reply. I'll try the less expensive things first and report back.

Last edited:

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after a second examination, Land Rover Seattle replaced the fuel pump and some related parts (O-rings and such). After pulling down the gas tank they found the terminal leading to the fuel pump had also over-heated, melting the plastic housing in which it sits on the top of the tank, which I presume holds the pump motor but at minimum provides the power to the pump. Anyway, they fixed it well enough to get me home with no further issues. Thanks, again RoverGuy 7.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635