Steering play?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

I am experiencing a subtle response at low speeds. It is so subtle that I thought maybe it was all in my head, but now I'm thinking I ought to ask the board if they've felt it too.

Low speeds only, occurs when I turn the steering wheel either direction and at any point on the "clock" but it can only be described as a "dead spot." Like the feedback is gone for maybe 1 degree of rotation then catches again.

I have some theories...but I don't want to plant ideas. I'd rather leave it open-ended for any of you mechanical types that can just say "oh yeah that's the such 'n such" or any of you who have had a similar symptom that was remedied by a service action.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Cheers,
Houm
:beer:

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same thing at low speeds, it's very subtle. The dealer just replaced my entire steering rack 5k miles ago (for different reasons) so I'm pretty sure that's just how they are. Although, I'm thinking it might be my alignment and very worn tires.

Skunkape

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any tramlining issues? vague steering and tramilining point to lower control arm bushings, ball joints or allignment issues.

I had the lower steering input shaft replaced which solved my issue of vague steering with rattles and clunks going off road.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The bushings were recently inspected (like weeks ago) along with other suspension components as I had it in for an oil change and 4-wheel alignment. Tramlining has been about the same as it ever was...

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a clear case of "the such and such" to me! Possibly a loose ******* Valve?? :aetsch:

Just kidding Houm! Unless it's clunking or you can feel an "engage/disengage" through the wheel, I wouldn't sweat it. Larger tires seem to magnify this tiny vague window. Just keep an eye on it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no not the ******* Valve!!! $hit!

...what do you mean by "engage/disengage" Hammy?

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A distinct click/clunk/wiggle/shimmy felt through the steering wheel when you start to feel the steering come back. Check your steering fluid for ***** and giggles. If it's due for a flush, handle it. I think you're fine though by your description.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If bushings and balljoints are fine then it would be down to inner and outer tie rod ends. I have notice my steering feel is ultra sensitive to tire pressure as well.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So...I didn't want to tip anyone off to what the problem most likely is, because I wanted objective, open-ended answers, and I appreciate all of your responses.

The missing piece of information is that my Synchrones are in fact getting pretty low, especially the shoulder lugs. They are getting quite rounded. I figure this is the problem...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99