Stock Wheels: Keep or Sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently bought and mounted 5 Compomotive PD1881s and BFG KO2s (and new TPMS).

I removed my 5 immaculate stock wheels and tires from my black pack MY15 LR4. The wheels are essentially bloody perfect and the tires only have 3k miles on them.

My internal debate is whether to keep or sell them...

The 2 main reasons I want to keep them is to potentially use them with dedicated winter tires and for any warranty coverage issues that might be easier with the stock setup.

The only reason I would sell them is for some extra cash for other add-ons(which I will eventually get anyway) and space... Did I mention I technically have 18 rims and tires under my roof if I include the ones on my LR4 and Infiniti? I keep a summer and winter setup for my G35xS and now have 5 compos and 5 OEM wheels for the landy. I may be able to fit the 4 for my Infiniti in the garage, but that is a big maybe. My 2 car garage is tiny and barely holds my vehicles.

Should I keep my OEM setup or sell them? I also can't find any comparables for sale for 5 of the 20" gloss black wheels, tires and TPMS anywhere... How much money could I even get for them? They are in fantastic shape.

2E351956-D961-428A-A8C9-DFA54691EC94.jpg

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd sell. I'm actually trying to sell my 20" Stormer wheels to pick up a set of 18" Compo's. I need more sidewall.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept mine, 19" in mint conditions from my Black Pack. I will put them back on when I sell the car, and either re-use the Compos on my next Land Rovet (if they fit, fingers crossed...) or sell them used to another owner. Not much demand for 19" stockers out there, even the fancy black ones (your 20" may generate more interest, maybe. Not sure.) OTH, plenty of people want the Compos - even my scratched ones would probably sell quick - and I don't expect that to change any time soon as more and more older LR4s make their way off-road. I store the 19s at my company though, I would have no room in my home garage.

backcountryLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, considering the cost new and the expense in shipping the Compos over here, a used set on this side of the pond would be convenient and cheap(comparably...)

I'm guessing trying to sell the 20's on forums where the majority of the members have the goal of off-roading, might be a lost cause. But with more LR3s and LR4s out there that just want an upgrade from their silver wheels, meh... maybe?

IDK, I am leaning towards keeping them... Maybe I could find a spare room or storage space at my office. We are getting rid of our tenants soon and will have the whole building to ourselves. (This is after I carried what seems like close to 500lbs of wheels and tires into my spare room up a flight of stairs.

I still haven't taken the compos on my local freeway where 85 mph is the norm. Worried about how they will fair, which is another reason I might want to hang on to the OEMs...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 22 LR4 wheels if you include full size spares. Some are stored in the basement, some in the garage on a storage rack I bought from Tire Rack.

Wife's LR4: 19" Michelin LTX summer, 19" Nokian Hakka winter

My LR4: 20" Michelin LTX spring & fall, 19" Nokian Hakka winter and 19" nicely worn Cooper Zeons for summer beach driving

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya on the wheel/tire pain.
I have 2 full sets of wheel tires, for my LR4, BMW i3 (Wife's), Winter tires/wheels for a BMW 325Xi (car is gone, but still have a set of winter tires/rims), and a set of early 2000 Jaguar XKR 2 Piece BBS wheels (I'll part with some day)... and I think I have a set of 13" tire/wheels that went to my 89 VW Fox Wagon.
I wheel on my 20" rims, I have scuffed the crap out of them, but I still get offer to buys, because they are the more rarer split spoke design. I will eventually refinish, powder coat in black and use as my winter set.
I am going to get the 18" Terrafirma steel wheels, for summer use.

I would keep, and store if I was you, When you part ways with the vehicle, you will have better luck selling it with all original parts.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 vehicles and 6 total sets of wheels/tires for them. Dedicated winters all around. I'd vote keep them. Gives you options.

I found out last weekend that snow tires are not fantastic in the mud. :D Diffs locked up good on that trail, really more of a field/prairie area.

IMG_20170225_1529382_zpsaie34vrw.jpg

Waterndirt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've tried selling my 19" stockers which only have 50 miles on them. Received offer for all 5 for $1500 on Craigslist. I was hoping for $2000+. I wasn't in a rush to sell them. Now they sit in my shop. Kinda nice knowing I have a back up set to my Compos.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1500 is a great price!! I would have jumped all over that.
You could have financed another set of "backup" wheel ;)
They go for $500-800 around here, with newish tires and immaculate wheels.

For reference you can pick up a set of 18" LR3 wheels with good tires for a little over $400, in very good condition.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 3 vehicles and 6 total sets of wheels/tires for them. Dedicated winters all around. I'd vote keep them. Gives you options.

I found out last weekend that snow tires are not fantastic in the mud. :D Diffs locked up good on that trail, really more of a field/prairie area./QUOTE]

:)What snow tires are you running? My Bridgestones are almost as aggressive as my Cooper Zeon's

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM