Stripped bolt hole for 5.0L water pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe77

Reaction score
Long story short, I cheaped out on a torque wrench and stripped out a bolt hole on my 2013 LR4. I actually did this water pump replacement in Sept 2021 and when torquing one of the bolts it would get some resistance but it wouldn't snug up. Pulled out the bolt and there were a small amount of shavings on it. At this time I knew I was most likely going to have to do a thread repair but for whatever reason I reinstalled it and was able to get a little bit of tension on it so I figured I'd give it a try. I know that was dumb considering the potential to over heat and destroy the engine, but I put it all back together and pressurized the system and no leaks. Monitored the coolant bottle daily and after a few days the level stabilized and stayed that way until just recently. Wife pulled the LR4 into the garage and immediately I smelled the smell I have been dreading since the water pump repair. Checked the coolant bottle and the level had dropped about a half liter. I can see the evidence of the leak by the stripped bolt so I know 100% that is the source of the leak. So it's time to do the thread repair. I would like to have the proper Helicoil kit on hand when I take everything apart but I cannot find the thread pitch info on this bolt. Tried calling the dealer and searching online and the only thing I can find is that it's an M6 x 40mm bolt, and nothing about the threads. From what I recall it seemed like a course thread but I really don't want to guess. I will be watching as many youtube videos as I can find before attempting this repair because i have never done a thread repair before. Any tips are much appreciated. I've also invested in a good torque wrench so that will not be an issue again!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these are a small size torx and I believe only take 8 ft/lbs or so. I think I torqued mine with a small screwdriver.

Joe77

Reaction score
Yes you are correct they are to be torqued to 8 ft/lbs. In hindsight I should have just torqued them by feel with a 1/4" ratchet rather than trusting a cheap torque wrench that I had never used before. Live and learn I guess. Fortunately the stripped out hole is the easiest to access so hopefully it goes smooth.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
good luck. I would be lying if I said I have never done the same.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
The torque is 12NM per the mechanics manual. I would probably go with the Helicoil. I would order a new bolt from Rover then use that to spec the insert. That way you know you are getting the correct match.

Joe77

Reaction score
The torque is 12NM per the mechanics manual. I would probably go with the Helicoil. I would order a new bolt from Rover then use that to spec the insert. That way you know you are getting the correct match.
That was what I was hoping to do but the local LR stealers don't have any if you can believe that. They can order them in but I have to take a pack of 10. $35 and 1-2 weeks. What a joke. After talking to a few people, and from the advice given on this thread I'm pretty confident it's a 1.00 thread pitch. I'll inspect the bolt in the stripped hole and if it looks ok i'll reuse. I can't imagine that the aluminum could do any damage to a steel bolt, especially considering the low torque values. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Try Land Rover Palm Beach, they are my go-to on line folks. You will likely talk to Philip - he is a marvel at finding part numbers.
And it they don't have them in stock they will run them down and tell you who does....

Another good source is BoltDepot. It's an amazing website.

Reaction score
Heli-coil is bush league. Timesert is the only way to fly.

They even make special kits to fix heli-coil repairs. If you do go with Timesert coat the exterior of the sleeve with RTV to ensure a liquid tight seal.

Best of success!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petrhick