Suspension fault driving fast on twisty mountain road

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting...that's never happened to me.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Quick question. Does the computer store suspension faults or are they cleared when you restart? I drove a mountain road a couple days ago much faster than I should have. After a few minutes I got the amber suspension fault warning light. The next time I drove the warning was gone and the suspension can still raise and lower without issue. I'm curious what the fault was. I don't have an iidtool yet so I'm hoping the fault is still there. Also does anyone have a tool in the bay area California
On my Discovery 3 any suspension lights coming on will store any such issue. What position did you have traction in and what position was your height. If your in the extended mode and you drive over 30mph your car will give notice that it’s about too lower the suspension too normal driving position and a yellow light will appear on the dash. This is usually the only time no fault will be recorded.

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if the system overheated, due to the “spirited “ driving. If that was the case, the fault light should clear once it is cooled down.

chkirla

Reaction score
I’ve a 2005 lr3 SE with 215k miles. Regularly my suspension light comes on and totally randomly. I have a 2 mile drive, on surface streets, (car empty, no load) to work with 2 lanes in each direction. If im on inside lane warning light comes on. If comes on amber I continue to drive if it changes to red, or comes on red, suspension will drop.
I just pull over and reset by turning on and off.
Seems just the city street road surface is enough to set it off.
Again, it’s totally random. I could be cruising along the freeway warning light comes on, i pull off onto shoulder and turn off and on ‍♂️

Tictaktoe

Reaction score
I once had a suspension error when parked on a steep slope. Disappeared after disconnecting the batter and never reappeared, and it's been 3 years.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@chkirla you might want to find out what that is really about...your approach is not really solving the problem. Sounds like a calibration issue.

@Tictaktoe your symptoms sound like something random. Maybe a communication error or something.

Ian Morrison

Biffo 69
Reaction score
Quick question. Does the computer store suspension faults or are they cleared when you restart? I drove a mountain road a couple days ago much faster than I should have. After a few minutes I got the amber suspension fault warning light. The next time I drove the warning was gone and the suspension can still raise and lower without issue. I'm curious what the fault was. I don't have an iidtool yet so I'm hoping the fault is still there. Also does anyone have a tool in the bay area California
A fault will stay in system until it’s been cleared off using a fault code reader.

Greg9504

Reaction score
I wonder if the system overheated, due to the “spirited “ driving. If that was the case, the fault light should clear once it is cooled down.

This is wishful thinking (the politest way I can put it). There is nothing to overheat. The suspension is air springs, solenoid valves, and an air compressor. There's no way on a paved road you are causing the air compressor to come on enough to over heat, or actuate the solenoids enough.

I’ve a 2005 lr3 SE with 215k miles. Regularly my suspension light comes on and totally randomly

Without reading the codes you don't really know. However I'm going with a wiring issue. If you don't track it down, you will end up where the wire no longer conducts and will have the car permanently on bump stops. If you read the codes it's possible to track down the specific circuit to look for the fault. There are many, many, many well know wiring issues with these cars, all solved and well documented on the net, complete with pictures and step by step how to's. It usually just takes a few hours googling and about the same time to fix it.

Ant_les

Reaction score
sorry to ghost everyone! I had a height sensor on its way out. I noticed a few days later while driving with the off road screen set on the nav one wheel moved up and down rapidly while on smooth road then I got another warning. I have since replaced that sensor and all is good again. I have noticed now during spirited driving I don't get the traction light as often as I did before. Maybe/hopefully it was all related to the sensor. Thanks again for everyone that chimed in. Gap tool is a must by the way.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM