Suspension Kit Preferances?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DiscoCoveII

Reaction score
In the next few months i plan on discarding the stock coil sprung suspension on my 2000 DII and replace it with a more sturdy off-road suspension kit, i have been torn in both directions on which i should purchase, alot of people i have spoke with say go for OME, and others so go for Rovertyme... so i would like to know what landroverworld.org thinks about these two kits. you know ride quality and all. ive read that the OME supsension will raise my rover about 1.5" and Rovertyme claims you can buy a 2", 3" or a 5". i would probably go for 3".

does any one have any input on this topic?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally run an OME setup for almost 2 inches of lift. Any more than 2 inches of lift and you may very well have to replace a lot of other parts as well. Driveshafts, would just be one of the many upgrades required to run more than 2 inches.

It could very well be the difference between the cost of spring (around $400) and $2500 for all the required items to upgrade 3 or more inches.

DiscoCoveII

Reaction score
Thanks for you're input joey you're always helpful, do you have the OME shocks also?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I use Bilstein shocks and OME stabilizer

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally run an OME setup for almost 2 inches of lift. Any more than 2 inches of lift and you may very well have to replace a lot of other parts as well. Driveshafts, would just be one of the many upgrades required to run more than 2 inches.

It could very well be the difference between the cost of spring (around $400) and $2500 for all the required items to upgrade 3 or more inches.

Joey's right - don't go over 2" inches of lift (approx.) or you start running into all manner of parts replacement issues and those, in turn, lead to stability/driveability concerns on the highway. Besides, 2" looks real good without that silly 'Monster Truck' mega-useless-boost look. The number one issue that will keep you out trouble from high-centering or hitting stuff underneath when off-road is the fact that your Landy has a relatively short wheel-base; case in point: nearly all the best roads for 4X4 fun up here in BC are old logging roads that can lead you miles into spectacular terrain. But in order to prevent idiots from killing themselves (which they routinely do anyway) - the forrestry companies 'decommission' the roads when they stop using them. This means they dig some earth out of the road (i.e., across its width) crating a ditch and then they build about a three to four foot high mound/berm with that earth. Inevitably guys in their big-rig fords and chevys attempt to get over those and just as inevitably they get stuck on the top (i.e., high-centered) as their wheel base, regardless of six inch lifts - is just too long and they end up looking like a seesaw (its all very embarrassing for them - especially when some turkey [such as yours truly] comes putting along in his tiny SJ410 or Landy and easily clears the decommisioning berms - and all with nothing more than factory lift)!

For general off-roading, the most critical issue of all is - how low are your diffs? Because that's what's going to hit something first - and you can have a 12" lift without moving your diffs up a single inch!

2 inches of lift will permit you to put on a reasonably larger tire and that, in turn, will also give your diffs a nice lift too - and all without truly affecting your Landy's highway speed stability, etc. Also, diff protectors (or 'pumpkin hats') are a good idea for the more rambunctious off-roader. I have never had a need for them but, then again, I like to baby my Disco - even off road - which means - I slow right down on the rough stuff!

DiscoCoveII

Reaction score
very very helpful wolf, thank you. i will follow yours and joey's suggestion. Is there anything else thats is required besides coils and shocks? on the OME kit?

wolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
very very helpful wolf, thank you. i will follow yours and joey's suggestion. Is there anything else thats is required besides coils and shocks? on the OME kit?

You might want to take a look at the steel-braided brake flex-hose extensions that Atlantic British sells at a very good price (i.e., these allow you to have plenty of extra hose with your 2" lift and for serious flexing off road). This may not be absolutely necessary but if you ever rupture a brake flex-hose (something I have done) you won't like it (i.e. braking is then supplied by your tranny and emerg).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM