suspension self adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

Amir

I have noticed that every morning when I pull out of my driveway (which is kinda steep) in reverse and park on the level street the suspension self-adjusts only the rear springs to raise the rear end of the vehicle to normal height. It happens as soon as the car is off the ramped driveway only with the engine running. If i do not start the engine and just let the vehicle roll off the ramped driveway on to the levelled street (with trans in neutral), the rear of the vehicle is not levelled compare to the front and looks lowered, and then when i turn on the engine the vehicle resets to levelled stance (the rear end is raised by the compressor/springs). And a couple of times, after letting the truck roll of the driveway the same way (without the engine running) it is just the left rear spring thats needs to raise the truck and level up with the other three corners as the truck looks tipped to the left a little. I have made both of these observations by eye and have confirmed it by looking at the pictogram on the nav screen.

It makes sense that if you are pulliing up a steep driveway, the rear of the truck would lower due to the weight/center of gravity being shifted backward/downward. But when the truck is let to roll back off the driveway onto the flat street without the engine running, shouldn't the vehicle return to its normal stance. A vehicle without air suspension would definitely return to normal stance in accordance with the weight/center of gravity shift. Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roverdawg

The air suspension is electronic and needs to be on to make it's adjustments. That being said, if you were to roll it out to the street again (engine off) and leave it parked for 6 hours, you would return to find that it had leveled itself. I could be mistaken but I'm fairly certain that it "wakes up" every 6 hours or so, levels itself and goes back to "sleep". I have noticed that after I park and turn off the car, it will sometimes even level while I'm unloading items from the back and sometimes even just from the fact that I left the car ( I only weigh a buck eighty). Cool pffft of air to startle passersby!

F

flowner

On some other cars with air suspension frequent adjustment would indicate a leak. You would also wake up to a dead battery. I would suspect an minior adjustment every six hours is normal. If car is access mode in the morning and you left in standard, you probably have a leak.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635