SVX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. '17 X5M Individual w/ Dinan S2. In stock form it out performs every SUV in the current segment. Upgraded and dialed in there isn't anything better as a whole. The fastest and "sportiest" RRS/RR do not even come close to similar handling or even in the tech department.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here. '17 X5M Individual w/ Dinan S2. In stock form it out performs every SUV in the current segment. Upgraded and dialed in there isn't anything better as a whole. The fastest and "sportiest" RRS/RR do not even come close to similar handling or even in the tech department.

Agreed it will blow anything away on the street. Not so much off-road where the RRS SVR would easily walk away. Again, complete package of do anything, SVR wins simply because of the off-road column. I do think the Supercharged V8 also takes the win in the sound category as well. M sounds good but not quite as good, stock to stock, IMO. Of course M is easier to add more power. Will be interesting to see if the new X5M gets air suspension or not. As stated, it could make this comparison even closer.

That said, I have always been the biggest fan of the iDrive system but my vehicle continues to not be able to play music from my iPhone. Plugged in, blue-toothed, none of it works. It either shows 20 songs and that's it or it skips around like a scratched CD. Plus, mine has goes in the shop every other month to have something replaced. Might as well be a Land Rover product! :laugh:

Always said an LR4 with iDrive, RRS Sway system and BMW 5.0i / RRS V8SC would be an awesome vehicle. SVX comes pretty close to it. Doesn't have to have the most power, just more power than the SCV6. Don't understand why there isn't an option to get the 380hp version to be honest. That seems to me like an easy box to check.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MB and RR make an eight cylinder motor sound better than BMW does. iDrive is good but not as intuitive or quick as Audi's MMI system, even going back to MMI-3. BMW has been stubborn about fine tuning iDrive since the first iteration but is noticeably better and much quicker. iDrive5.0+ is far less clumsy and the layout is much better but many things are still buried without any shortcuts or the ability to program certain menus to a shortcut.

In an ideal world I would purchase a vehicle that handles like a BMW, has the tech of an Audi, the interior and running gear of a Range Rover, the exhaust note of an MB/AMG with the price tag of a Volvo XC90... then I would be one happy camper. BMW tells me that their X7 will be this vehicle but the price tag will probably be more than I feel it is worth and of course being a new BMW product it will be marked up several percent over MSRP when it debuts.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know much of anything about BMW as they are not my cup of tea, but two of my neighbors have M5's or M6's and they both sound horrible to me. One guy does not know how to drive it and litterally drives up and down the street in 1st gear the whole way everyday - that's amusing and annoying at the same time. The other one always sounds like someone is running a generator when I hear it in the morning, absolutely not a sound I associate with performance at all.

iconoclast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
absolutely not a sound I associate with performance at all.

Easy fix would be an exhaust which improves the tone and note at WOT and especially cold start so you do not have that rhythmic generator pulse as a cold start. I find it annoying too since it echoes in my garage and bounces off the other cars. At the risk of derailing this thread completely I have to say that my favorite BMW exhaust is on the E46 M3 but in the same vein it is one that is probably the least liked by most.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, got the expected response from the SVO e-mail. Anyone asked their dealers and gotten anything worthwhile in response?

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can find so far is that it is planned for 2019....

Maybe they will have one at Land Rover Fest. http://events.solihullbid.co.uk/lrfest/

may_23_975x4003-1.jpg

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I can find so far is that it is planned for 2019....

Maybe they will have one at Land Rover Fest. http://events.solihullbid.co.uk/lrfest/

Interesting you say 2019 when the press release I had said specifically "Production begins in 2018". Now, that could very well mean its a 2019 model but heck, there are already 2019 models starting to hit lots for some manufacturers.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV