Tailgate will not open

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point @NeilP.

I would love to see a write-up on how to do this oneself. Anybody want to take that on? Mines gone bust once and I'd love to have a backup cable in the event.

Update:
I saw that some sort of did do a write-up, but directions would be cool. Here are the photos from the LRR Forum:
http://www.lrrforums.com/album.php?albumid=144

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point @NeilP.

I would love to see a write-up on how to do this oneself. Anybody want to take that on? Mines gone bust once and I'd love to have a backup cable in the event.

Update:
I saw that some sort of did do a write-up, but directions would be cool. Here are the photos from the LRR Forum:
http://www.lrrforums.com/album.php?albumid=144
Wow, the idea of doing a backup pulltab that sticks out is great! I wish I would have had that done. That's the best fail-safe out there.

yeah, the design is crap. I wonder if they changed it on the LR4. Anyone know?

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually used a little two part EPOXY compound on plastic and L shaped bracket , that holds the line and breaks over time.Two years of use and still solid as a rock.Did not wanted to feed any bicycle brake lines as a emergency pull.I was thinking about it at that time,but decided not to.epoxy works like a charm for me.

nova lr3

Reaction score
Are you NOVA LR3 as in Northern Virginia? I have a quote dated 4/15/10 from Chantilly that shows the parts cost $193.18 and the labor of $250 for 2 hours labor. There's also a $59.95 "other" charge and tax of $9.20.

That's still half what you paid. I also know for a fact that LR Warranty (APCO) will only reimburse LR dealers around $320 for the same work.

You're wasting your breathe if the car is out of warranty. Extended warranty will cover the work, though.

Unbelievable! Chantilly it was. Looks like I got totally hosed. They'll be hearing from me - loudly.

xconcepts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just happened to me on a trip back from Texas. Have a table that I can't remove since the hatch is inop. I was quoted 231 to replace it.

nova lr3

Reaction score
Someone mentioned in one the threads about this problem that maybe putting extra pressure on the tailgate contributes to this problem. My failure happened just after I loaded a big jobsite box into the rear, then I couldn't get it out either. Regardless, it's still obviously a design flaw with no simple fail safe. Land Rover should be ashamed and be helping people out with this repair. Instead of hosing people like me! 231 - amazing compared to what I got taken for. I'll be in there this weekend making a scene.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Rosenthal Land Rover in Tysons and ask for a quote. Have them fax it to you. Take it with you to Chantilly and see what happens (if it's less). I always have to fight the urge to strangle them, but the tech service reps are pretty decent guys. Try to get Pat Brooke to explain why it's so much. He's the service manager.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in one the threads about this problem that maybe putting extra pressure on the tailgate contributes to this problem. My failure happened just after I loaded a big jobsite box into the rear, then I couldn't get it out either. Regardless, it's still obviously a design flaw with no simple fail safe. Land Rover should be ashamed and be helping people out with this repair. Instead of hosing people like me! 231 - amazing compared to what I got taken for. I'll be in there this weekend making a scene.

That was probably me -- I had just loaded and unloaded a large gas grill before mine failed. I'm not sure how that would have caused the problem--but it seemed more than a coincidence at the time.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Extra pressure on a tailgate has nothing to do with latch failures...

angasreid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure... thorgal? My LR3 definitely had a leather love seat inside when mine broke. I remember because the techs talked about how it was in the way of their work. Kind of funny I suppose.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99