Tech requirements, driving a Euro LR4 in US/CA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are doing it backwards. You should buy a vehicle out in California drive it and then either ship it home or sell it.

defender_verde

Reaction score
Shipping fees plus all the red tape and hoops you must jump threw as well California being one of the top three states with the strictest smog laws, you must hate yourself.
Why not save your money and buy a used LR in California, drive it then sell when your ready to depart? To comply with added smog equipment allowing any vehicle on the road legally if required has been a very expensive and torture by those I have spoken with.
Check every detail required on that one year only vehicle use in California first, no hidden expensive surprises.
This a special "One Off" LR only diplomats own being shipped around the world? Just asking?

It won't be an issue in CA. We share a border with another country and have a lot of non-USA market cars driving around.... As mentioned above, you get a year.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after having a quick look you should be ok as long as you’re fully insured and the car is road legal wherever it’s registered as long as the country is party to this 1949 convention.

That aside you’re driving a foreign car in the most litigious country on the planet. So make sure that insurance is enough and enjoy the ride :)

There is info out there posted by the us government but it’s just a drag to read through it all.
Belated thanks, Stuart, I was off grid in the past few weeks! Yes, I'm aware of the very specific dangers of driving in the US, have done it before (with a rental car though). I think my insurance is quite comprehensive, so it's all looking good, can't wait!

TrungH

Reaction score
Shipping fees plus all the red tape and hoops you must jump threw as well California being one of the top three states with the strictest smog laws, you must hate yourself.

Pretty sure CA refers to Canada in this context, not California. No need for it to pass CA smog if it's here temporarily.

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, pictures of the LR4? Diesel I assume? I wish we had those here...
Cooper MT.jpg
That's still without the 2nd spare on the roof, before the big trip...

navigare

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMG_0255.jpg
In the mountains of Kyrgizstan, nearly 4000 m above sea level. I took the muddy road deliberately to test the newly installed winch:).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV