2016 Land Rover LR4 (Discovery 4) Project Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:D Denial is a perfectly acceptable solution to the problem I suppose. (no hate intended here). Even stock I think these things are 'heavy'... so ya. Just curious where you ended up on a scale. I mostly ask because as I said, I am not far off from your build other than the bumpers and winch. I have most of the rest (my sliders don't protect as much so they are lighter).

HAHA - I could not agree more. My big issue is that I have barely driven a stock LR4 to know how peppy they are or how they handle. I am just used to driving this big fat box on wheels.

Thank you so much for posting that weight and I would assume @gulfstreamchris and I are not too far away, maybe add on another > 400 lbs or so - maybe more? He has the Frontrunner Outfitter drawers in the back (another 175 lbs), which I do not, but I actually ordered them last week and they are delivered here on Thursday. So, I'll be adding that as well. Yikes!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And finished product...few coats later.

IMG_4283_zpsnzkzuz3b.jpg

That looks awesome!!! I can't wait to try it on mine depending on how yours turns out. HAHA! :)

Reaction score
ok ok ok....
how did you get the side vents off without breaking them? I had multiple people tell me trying to pull them out is a fool's errand, and that they'll just break...

i ask because i need to redo mine, as i didn't understand the zen of Plastidip, and taking them out to redo them would be much easier.

and also - WOW. what a sled! I'm going to show my wife this post so she understands the long-term goal!

Thanks a ton!

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok ok ok....
how did you get the side vents off without breaking them? I had multiple people tell me trying to pull them out is a fool's errand, and that they'll just break...

i ask because i need to redo mine, as i didn't understand the zen of Plastidip, and taking them out to redo them would be much easier.

and also - WOW. what a sled! I'm going to show my wife this post so she understands the long-term goal!

Thanks a ton!

They are just a pain to remove, that's all. They feel like they are going to break and you can end up with bloody fingers, but in the end they will come out. Using an old credit card to get some leverage might help. There was a thread here somewhere with this exact topic.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you get the front runner ladder on without a gap on the outside edge? Did you bend it? The fit on those things is terrible.

Head over to the accessories section under LR4's. I recently installed and uploaded a picture of the Front Runner ladder. I haven't noticed a gap. My ladder included a plate that bolts to the top hinge. Without that I could see a gap.

Reaction score
ok ok ok....

Thanks a ton!

Here's a video I found online showing you how to remove the vents.

As you can see it requires a bit of force and like someone said some bruising along the way. LR4 definitely doesn't have a shortage of plastic bits that are hard to remove without being able to reinstall them but the vents are definitely able to come off. Good luck!!

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ColoradoDisco4 i just dipped mine last week. I used. A flat head screw driver and went in from behind the grill. Open the hood and on both sides near the hood hinges is a small opening. Shine a light down and you can see the tabs. Mash those down and pull out.

IMG_1300.JPG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV