Terrafirma hidden winch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The Terrafirma TF3301 is IP67 rated. I think I'll have bigger issues if my pack is submerged in water over 1M deep. The grill is about as high up as both side air intake vents. So, I'm not too worried.

You're absolutely right about making sure everything is protected, especially when it takes this much effort getting it installed.

As for the wires, I believe mine came with either 2 or 0/1 gauge wires and they (+/-) both reached the main starting battery.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If anyone hasn't noticed, I made an error pointing out the "crash sensor". It's actually the front air suspension solenoid valve block that controls your front air suspension. Part #RVH000095. I'm about to make some T-taps with schrader valves and some airtight cut-off valve to individually air up/down each corner. While doing some research, yeah, it's an air distribution block with individual solenoids.

My bad...

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK I'm going to play the idiot. I cannot seem to find the listing for the TF096 winch mount on either the TerraFirma4x4.com or BritPart.com website.

Can you post the links... or was this just something you knew about and called direct to order?

Popham

Reaction score
Hmmm... no takers? My original question still exists of how everyone it attaching their 1/0 high amp cables directly to the negative post of the primary battery to avoid going to the grounding strap mounting point, and losing amperage flow?

Since there's no available accessory stud on the negative terminal clamp, I'm assuming you're doing what I'm planning and making a custom connector for the only mounting point available, the clamp tightening nut? It's small, but if done right looks doable.

I posed the question hoping there was an elegant Rover factory option like a special battery terminal clamp with added accessory studs. Anyone know what specific stud mounting point the authorized Rover winch kits run the negative cable to?

Last edited:

ishapiro

Reaction score
Hmmm... no takers? My original question still exists of how everyone it attaching their 1/0 high amp cables directly to the negative post of the primary battery to avoid going to the grounding strap mounting point, and losing amperage flow?

Since there's no available accessory stud on the negative terminal clamp, I'm assuming you're doing what I'm planning and making a custom connector for the only mounting point available, the clamp tightening nut? It's small, but if done right looks doable.

I posed the question hoping there was an elegant Rover factory option like a special battery terminal clamp with added accessory studs. Anyone know what specific stud mounting point the authorized Rover winch kits run the negative cable to?

I don't think you can install the winch ground directly to the negative terminal because it has the built-in BMS. The only way to correctly wire this without affecting the BMS is to do that closest to the BMS on the chassis side which is right behind the battery. You will have to unscrew the main fusebox and move it out of the way to get to that chassis ground bolt. This is also the same location as used by the original LR Winch kit.

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 3.43.03 AM.png

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ya, you don't want to attach anything to that clamp bolt, it wont tighten properly with anything added.

As mentioned, the chassis ground point is the right spot. I recently installed my winch using that point. I just had to unbolt it and move it a little to the side to get a wrench and my fingers in there, to keep it from falling into the abyss. Tight, but doable.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
OK I'm going to play the idiot. I cannot seem to find the listing for the TF096 winch mount on either the TerraFirma4x4.com or BritPart.com website.

Wow, you're right about the part number and item missing from Terrafirma and Britpart. I guess you can still get it on Lucky8, https://www.lucky8llc.com/search?q=tf096. Better get it before it's gone. :)

My original question still exists of how everyone it attaching their 1/0 high amp cables directly to the negative post of the primary battery to avoid going to the grounding strap mounting point, and losing amperage flow?

ishapiro is correct. That's where I mounted my ground wire. It should be the closest mounting point to your starting battery (ground or negative) and closest (+) to your starter (on the + post of the battery). Otherwise you risk all electrical in between the power source (battery) and your power device (winch).

MrMOB_D4

Reaction score
First off great write up. In the market for a hidden winch mount. Would like to know how the terrafirma has held up. (The winch tray) any issues? My choices are the Devon or terrafirma.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The winch and winch tray held up pretty well, especially after putting in all that hard work getting it in. Luckily, I have some small hands and can get to the winch clutch relatively easily. If you're going down this route, be a little generous and cut the area out to fully get your hand in there for the clutch. That's the one thing I would do over again. Otherwise, it's good.

I've also upgraded the winch lead to the Factor55 Flatlink and got a Tuffy flip-up license plate to hide the winch with my license plate. It doesn't fit with the Factor55 Flatlink, so I had to make my own bracket with a 1/4" aluminum L-bar to give it the correct clearance to fully cover the front. I did all this so that I could cover the synthetic rope from normal road debris and allow full functionality of the winch by flipping up the license plate.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installing the Terrafirma Hidden Winch from Atlantic British and I'm struggling to place the controller (2011 LR4). OP placed it behind the grill, but this seems to be fighting with both the grill and the AC condenser. Any beta/suggestions/photos would be much appreciated!

TIA

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi