Terrafirma hidden winch install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
The 500A relay is a switched on/off relay that completely regulates the winch from accidentally draining your main battery, because the winch relay may fail or have a parasitic draw. The amperage rating is to give the proper amps that the winch requires. If the relay goes past 500A it will thermally break the circuit and reconnect when it cools down.

Relays all work the same, there's a source power (+), an auxiliary device power (+), ground (-), and signal wire (+). Source would be 2 awg directly on the (+) battery, aux goes to the 2 awg (+) main power feed to the winch, ground (-) a 16 awg ground cable for the relay, and 12v (+) signal wire goes to a switch in the cabin or wherever.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. So the main power feed to the winch relays is what trips this guy to connect the source power to the battery? What relay did you use?

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for those of you who've done this install:

Did you have a cooler in the way? I seem to have an extra cooler that sticks out into the same plane as the back of the winch mount wants to occupy. It's not attached with soft lines, so it wouldn't be trivial to relocate.

Attachments

• IMG_1827.png
    IMG_1827.png
    719.5 KB · Views: 66

gmfain

Reaction score
Question for those of you who've done this install:

Did you have a cooler in the way? I seem to have an extra cooler that sticks out into the same plane as the back of the winch mount wants to occupy. It's not attached with soft lines, so it wouldn't be trivial to relocate.
I don't recall having the extra condenser. It wouldn't hurt it if you relocate it, up a bit.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not even sure what the thing actually is. There’s a bleeder on the hose attached to its hard line on the driver’s side, and there’s coolant under the bleeder. So it almost seems like a second radiator. I'm betting it's plumbed into the heat exchanger in the intake manifold.

But there isn’t any place to relocate it to. There is maybe an inch and a half between the fan and the main radiator, but that's room needed for the engine to move in its mounts.

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone put one of these on a 2013 V8?

I have my car torn apart right now, and have to use the (roughly 1") included spacers to mount the winch mount onto the crashbar mounting points.

The washer bottle bracket no longer has the correct geometry because of the spacers being used... Anyone run into anything like that before?

Edit: After reading this thread https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/hidden-winch-install.24678 it appears that some people have just cut the winch tray itself to fit around the ac drier assembly (which is why the spacers are necessary on the V8... I think they're more for the V6)

That should fix most of my problems...

I'm honestly still tempted to return the Terrafirma mount since it wasn't updated for the LR4... Just kind of hacked together.

If I return it I'm buying the ProSpeed one that looks much more well designed, even tho it is a lot more $$$.

Even if I leave the spacers in, I need to notch out way more of my bumper which I'm not into doing.

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I honestly don't recall how I mounted the windshield washer, BUT what if you milled out the washer bottle hole to snuggly fit the spacer into it? That would simply hold up the washer bottle, while the screws are securing the washer bottle.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep t
I'm honestly still tempted to return the Terrafirma mount since it wasn't updated for the LR4... Just kind of hacked together.

If I return it I'm buying the ProSpeed one that looks much more well designed, even tho it is a lot more $$$.
Keep us posted if you go Prospeed. They won't ship direct and require you go through their only NA dealer, Lucky 8. But I asked Lucky 8 and they say they basically don't/can't stock Prospeed anymore because they have like impossible lead times.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72