TFSI fuel additives?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have always paid extra for Shell V10 or Chevron Techron (high octane of course) but are these additives just a waste of money with direct injection motors like the SVC6?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to this Consumer Reports article, Top Tier detergent gas (Shell is Top Tier certified) is worth the price. High octane Top Tier gas seems to be the preferred diet for a smooth running LR4. That's what I use at every fill up. I find myself always doing the math at the pump and rationalizing that I'm spending ~$5 more per tank and that it is cheap insurance. We all p!ss that amount of money away every day on less important investments so that is my personal rationale.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m a 40-year user of Consumer Reports, but their information is rather generic. In this case I see no acknowledgement of the differences in intake valve deposits on a TFSI motor. Now maybe injector and combustion chamber deposits are not that different. One thing for sure: there is a lot a lot more carbon ending up in the oil on these engines.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99