The horror, the madness! (T-case project)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. I just been informed that my project transfer case (LT230Q, as its from 97th Disco)
is being dropped for shipping.

I am planning to use this as training before taking my own (from 94 Disco) apart and torturing myself to death.

I'll try to put together somewhat like journal of process, after whole thing will arrive,
so inquiring minds can check it with me :)

Just thought i'd share - damn i am happy as the man who thought that cat done its business on his plate, but it turned out to be just extra-big olive.. :)

BTW - if someone know place that sells SILICONE seals (i think i seen some red silicone seals on northeastbritishparts.com, but none of those were for T-case) i'd greatly appretiate information :) I am also looking for cheapo gasket/seals kit for this t-case, and of course bearingzzzzzz..

Last edited:
M

montanablur

serg-

I hope you do your journal as a thread... Along with it being informative I'm sure it will be highly entertaining...

outdoorfever

Reaction score
Wow Sergei thats a great idea. I guess its cheaper to buy a practice one than to ruin yours trying for the first time or payin someone else to do it. Good luck and I'll be keeping an eye on this forum.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kyle - well, Marc promissed its not much harder than doing differentials setup. And i done that by now :) That thought is only what supports me from getting totally terrified in face of this task :)

outdoorfever

Reaction score
yea if its as easy as the internals of the differentials, thats like eatin' dove milk chocolate promises and drinkin pepsi. nevertheless, i'll be waiting for the journal!

S

SteveA

Sergei,

The reason you're having trouble finding silicone seals for the t-box is that the way Land Rover seals the boxes is with Right Stuff. It's one of those gasket-in-a-can silicone sealants. You know, the stuff that looks like a can of CheezWiz. That's what we use here at the dealership. Hope this helps.

Stephen

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stephen - thanks. there is lots of weirdness on how initial gasketing/sealing/plumbing done in LRs :) I actually was talking about oil seals - i.e ones on front/rear outputs.. Its bugging me that someone must be making those, as silicone shall not detiorate from oil contact like rubber does..

Kyle - have you done work on LT230? (any T or Q) I trust Marc's opinion on this, b/c he is prof. tech. that done and doing quite a lot of stuff on Discos.

Last edited:

outdoorfever

Reaction score
Sergei, no I have never done any work on the transfer case or anything on a disco or land rover, as far as that goes. Just work here and there on my toyota. Sorry I cant help you, and your wise to take information fro a lr tech. :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM