The never ending steering knock!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b.anzellotti

Reaction score
13 LR4 with 50k miles now. I replaced the lower control arms with new ones from Atlantic British. I got the supposed upgrade ones with the heavy duty bushes. I was feeling some knocking in the steering wheel on sharp bumps. After that it was still there. The mechanic I took it to said the driver side axle bearing was showing wear. Ok, so I replaced both sides. Still knocking about. Took it to another place who unloaded the suspension and the passenger ball joint had failed in the new LCA. Atlantic British was great and sent a new one straight away at not cost. I replaced both sides anyway. Yeah I know. CRAZY. During this I installed the EVO Corse 18’s and ST Maxx tires. Went on a trip (about 2000 miles) and still have the knocking on sharp bumps, cobblestone and brick road super noticeable and when cornering on the highway and hit a bump the steering wheel just gets so loose and wants to turn hard into the corner. ***.
I’ve got no idea what to try next besides looking at Upper Control Arms.

Anyone have any suggestions how best to diagnose this? Any potential for steering gear related? Saw mention of sway bar bushes?

Anybody else experience similar? And when punching quickly on brakes I don’t get the knock I thought would have been there if the LCA was gone again.

Driving me nuts, any help greatly appreciated.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tie rod ends.

Sway bar bushings

I would bet one of those is what you are hearing.

Both are ready DIY fixes.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
loose steering after hitting bumps is a sign of a bad shock. it will also cause a knock/hard rattle kind of sound as is "bounces"after hitting the bump.
bad shocks are often mis-diagnosed on these cars since the airbag hides symptoms and visual inspection.

I just went though this on my LR4. passenger rear.

I replaced the shock in my driveway in 45 minutes. easy DIY job. youll need the IID tool (or equal) in order to deflate the suspension prior to working on it.

b.anzellotti

Reaction score
Thanks all. I booked in to LR but it’ll be a week before they can get to it. I went by a place close to my work and they had a quick look with the jack under the control arm and lifted a couple inches. When they used a lever under the wheel they said the ball joints were moving up and down in the control arm.
I didn’t get to see it so hopefully can get some closure soon.

I do have an extra new ball joint.

Can anyone send me a link to the tool used to remove the ball joint? I was thinking of having a go and replacing to see if any luck. I just can’t believe the whole ball joint is moving as they say.
I’ll check tomorrow while at work.

I did send a message to Atlantic British to see what they say. They must have sold hundreds of these things. Am I that unlucky? Probably.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have ordered one from Atlantic British that turned out to be out of spec before.

You might have just been unlucky.

b.anzellotti

Reaction score
Forgot to reply to this. So i talked to AB and they promptly sent a new set of LCA’s. Had them installed and couldn’t believe what came off. Both LCA’s were cracked at the weld where the large bushing goes opposite of the ball joint.
I’ve never seen anything like this before. So this cost so much having the ball joints replaced twice, axles done because they thought the know was I there. Axle done a second time because the boot had a hole in it.
Just glad it didn’t rip apart further while driving. I did a 2000 mile trip with the family and a fully packed car. Mechanic said it was just a ball joint. All good. Not really I guess.

Now I’m still having major issues with the alignment. The car pulls super quick when turning. Pretty much like out control. On bumps around corners especially it’s super loose and pulls into the corner when hit a bump when going around a curve.

Anyone have any experience with this. The mechanic says it the wheels and tires. I couldn’t imagine all of the LR owners would just deal with such a **** ride just to have 18’s and bigger tires.

I’m thinking caster is too far back? Most shops do the “toe and go”.

Any help greatly appreciated.

6E2B4743-8D1A-4604-9C13-672324309451.jpeg

9FB8C3B3-DB8E-409C-89AD-241EA76FED00.jpeg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you saying that the cracked LCAs were the first new ones you bought from AB?

I had issues with AB LCAs in the past. I ordered a set and my indy shop said they simply didn't fit. AB was great about the return and replacements. However, the replacements didn't fit either! (yes, the correct item had been ordered). AB also took back and refunded the 2nd set. The shipping on those heavy things must've taken a bite but they covered it all. I finally went with OEM ordered locally.

I have to believe that my situation was an anomaly. I have always equated AB with good quality, and I have no complaints about their customer service especially after that incident.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stiff bushing puts too much stress on a poorly welded part? Honestly those broken LCAs look like poor quality (welds) Your vehicle should not handle like that. You need to get a 2nd opinion somewhere.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut