Things to look for on a high mileage LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are you planning on putting on it per year? That may drive the wedge between the mileage. I'd also say that the 2010 likely has some flexibility at that price.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's sort of a ongoing debate how big a deal the timing chain guide issue is, but if you want to safely watch that debate from the sidelines, a 2013 or newer model is what you'd want.

There are some 2012 and older models that have a lot of miles on the clock with no timing chain issues, yet there are others that are in the mid-60's and have had them replaced.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should say that if the timing chain guides have been replaced on 2012 or older models, you're safe there, too. Land Rover updated the part near the end of the 12 model and any replacement will be with the updated part.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the oil change intervals are round about every 15,000 miles.

I wish they had been more frequent than that. To @ryanjl's point about the timing chains and guides, there is a suspected correlation between oil change frequency and timing chain problems especially in pre-2013 models. Not a dealbreaker, but keep that in mind.

FYI, consensus around here is that oil changes at 5K - 7.5K intervals are the best practice. Of course there are many factors such as driving style, type of miles (road vs around-town), temperature, dust, etc., that also play a part.

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
Decided to avoid anything in the 2010-2012 range. I found a 2013 HSE with the comfort package with 80k for $22,900 at a Land Rover dealer near Chicago. They have a complete service history for the vehicle and all the major things discussed in this thread have been replaced.

I asked the dealer for some photos as it was a new trade and they came back to me saying that while it had been in the shop being inspected, they realized that the timing chain needed to be replaced. Apparently, it wasn't to the point where you could hear it, but it wouldn't be too long before you could. They have offered to replace the timing chain and all the work the comes with that for $3,500 on top of the $22,900. This seems like a good deal but just wanted to get a few thoughts from others in the know.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 2013 should have the updated timing chain tensioners and guides and thus not need a timing chain replacement, absent some other factors.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$3500 isn't terrible for a dealer-provided timing chain service and that might be the play...not because a dealer is necessarily more competent at this repair, but if anything goes south afterward you've got someone to scream at. But even at an indy shop I'd bet you'd be hard pressed to beat that price by enough to make it worthwhile.

That said, I'd probably offer them $25,000 for the fully repaired vehicle. If they've had time to evaluate and then price the vehicle, they should have known that it had issues. Ask if they make a habit of advertising a price on a used vehicle before they inspect it. They could have just set the original price point to include that necessary repair. Is it me or do dealers have a special knack for creating mistrust?

Question: What are the symptoms that led them to diagnose a silent timing chain issue? Codes?

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decided to avoid anything in the 2010-2012 range. I found a 2013 HSE with the comfort package with 80k for $22,900 at a Land Rover dealer near Chicago. They have a complete service history for the vehicle and all the major things discussed in this thread have been replaced.

I asked the dealer for some photos as it was a new trade and they came back to me saying that while it had been in the shop being inspected, they realized that the timing chain needed to be replaced. Apparently, it wasn't to the point where you could hear it, but it wouldn't be too long before you could. They have offered to replace the timing chain and all the work the comes with that for $3,500 on top of the $22,900. This seems like a good deal but just wanted to get a few thoughts from others in the know.
Which dealer? I'd be suspect of any dealer that's shifting prices around like that. Keep thinking Chicago-land and I'll make you a deal on my super low mileage '13. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72