Things to look for on a high mileage LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
Nice. How much did you get it for?

Ended up paying $22,000 for it.

Although, I discovered over the weekend that there is a tiny amount of oil dripping from somewhere. I checked the oil level several times on Friday/Saturday about 20 minutes after driving it and the oil level was constant at Max on the read out.

I checked it again first thing this morning after it had been in the garage all night and the read out said that it had been overfilled.

I am taking it into the shop today to try and figure out what is going on with it.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my experience.... the electronic level display is pretty useless. It seems to only show Min, Max, or halfway between those two. The FSM oil change procedure includes a process that appears to set the display to show "Max", assuming that you poured in the correct amount of oil. It then uses this level as a reference. If it works how I think it does, it's a really lame setup. Really wish there was a manual dipstick option. If the display says it's overfilled, there's no way to know for sure without draining & refilling, because you don't know how much oil was in the sump the last time the sensor was "calibrated".

For the leak, if it's coming from the front passenger corner of the engine, look at the vacuum pump area below the alternator. There was a recent thread discussing this. My engine has a leak here, I'm going to replace the pump seal when I change the oil in the next couple of weeks.

Side note: There's a lot of drama & discussion on what oil to use, and what change interval. There's threads on the forum with details if you're into that stuff. Summary is, ignore LR's stupid 15k change interval and change the oil at 5k-7.5kmi with normal service, with top-quality synthetic 5W-20 or 0W-20... if you're picky, use oil that meets the formal JLR spec. For severe service (i.e., towing, or extended city driving) cut those intervals in half. Bonus: You need an LR-specific scanner like the IID Gap tool to reset the service reminder. There's no way to reset it without the proper tool. If paying an indy shop to do oil changes, ask them if they have the proper tool.

o_O

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It boggles my mind that Land Rover put in the kickass metal tube that lets us easily suck oil out of the top, yet left out a physical dipstick.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It boggles my mind that Land Rover put in the kickass metal tube that lets us easily suck oil out of the top, yet left out a physical dipstick.
I agree. It also makes me wonder if an custom / aftermarket dipstick could be fabricated to fit down that tube!

:stupido2:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. It also makes me wonder if an custom / aftermarket dipstick could be fabricated to fit down that tube!

:stupido2:

I can't see why not . The cable style (like on my Honda) would fit fine as is. Just need to determine the length of wire cable needed.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see why not . The cable style (like on my Honda) would fit fine as is. Just need to determine the length of wire cable needed.

I would buy that whether or not it was integrated with a modified cap or just came as the wire with some kind of grip or handle. Just keep it with the oil change supplies in my garage. I bet it would sell like hotcakes.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA