Things to look for on a high mileage LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the 2012 Lux that has all the service records of all the major things done.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion but I'd also go with the 2012 HSE LUX because you'll enjoy driving it more. Don't be scared off by mileage I'm closing in on 200,00o and it's my daily driver and long hauler. Perhaps the best piece of advice who be purchase an extended warranty if you're concerned. There are plenty of them available. Secondly, find a good independent garage with Land Rover trained mechanic/technicians. They'll save you dollars and will take care of your vehicle better than most LR stealerships. Good luck and welcome to Land Rover which really is a blast to drive.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd echo finding a good independent mechanic. Bonus if they let you supply your own parts. For me, it was the difference between paying my dealer $1,800 to swap my lower control arms, or paying a total of $700 to have it done at the independent.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That one looks nice. It is a little out of my way, sadly.
"I just called Land Rover Tulsa to inquire about the 2010 Lux with 63,000. They told me it had the control arms and ball joints replaced at 39,000 and had the front and rear brakes replaced at 48,000. The dealer is asking $19,000 for that one."

Why the control arms and ball joints replaced at that low of mileage I must ask? In that case with 63,000 miles on the clock the control arms and ball joints are only 24,000 miles away to replacement again?

Newer 2012 at $18,000 from a dealership, i'd be thinking they would be asking thousands of dollars more vs dealing with a private party with or without records but maintained by a skilled owner with mechanical abilities.
Watch out for vehicles having a "clean Carfax", as many private owners go to body shops paying cash to have damage repairs done with Carfax never knowing their vehicle had been damage or been in an accident

Problem I had was trusting any dealership while under warranty believing them as God's gift to LR repair world.

Below, no toss up get the 2012, JMO......~~=o&o>........
"So now it is a toss up between the 2012 Lux with 107k for $18,000 or the 2010 Lux with 63K for $19,000.
"

Last edited:

Ed Rustioni

Reaction score
After all that, found a 2012 HSE with 50k with full Land Rover service history.

B93A5FB8-1579-4CB3-89C1-AD41D2E1ADC7.jpeg

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealerships are in the market selling new vehicles not used. They want used vehicles gone ASAP. Used minimum dealership labor time invested with servicing it to be a safe vehicle not eating into their profit margins. Dealerships sell used vehicles as "AS-IS-CONDITION", should it have a mechanical failure problem they wash their hands and in the clear. Should they do the timing chain and slipper guide replacements I bet that would be a rush job ripping apart and reassemble under their minimum labor hour charts, dirty engine exterior is now interior dirt inside the engine. You would never know the difference would you? I saw this happen several times hanging around a couple LR dealerships making friends with LR trained dealership mechanics. Not even a pressure wash before performing engine surgery. Ice,cold and snow condition cold starts (engine wear) is ******* any engine's long life overall before reaching normal operating temps is another consideration on any vehicle purchase vs one that served all its life in a milder climate, JMO.....~~=o&o>.......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72