ticking or tapping noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

disc03

Reaction score
hi everybody,i hope one you of fellow land rover buds can help me on this problem of my disco 03' originally it was just a ticking or tapping noise.my mechanic told it was my oil pressure.after driving it for exactly 3-4 miles then it starts doing it.any way he end up installing new oil pump,water pump and timing chain.$2300 later the noise is still there.now he's telling me its my lifters.before he work on the lifters.i told him to pour in that seafoam in the engine and drove it for 110 miles and few days later it went away.now after a month the noise came back.so i decided to have the lifters done and still doing the same thing.luckily he didn't charge me for lifter job.any way i feel bad not to give him anything so end up just paying for the parts w/c cost me $173 for lifters gaskets etcetera.i was there when the top of of the engine was taken apart.i hope i did not bore any of you guys.my question now is can anybody tell me whats wrong w/ my disco 03?my oil pressure drops after 3-4mi.now he's suggesting its the main bearing.

ps: any advice would be greatly appreciated.

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were your mech, I'd have checked your oil press 1st with a test ga.

Having said that, these engines are sludge producers, (all alum), if you haven't changed the oil every 3k miles, it's quite possible your lifters are dirty.

The fact it gets worse after warmup tells me your using some crazy thin oil (5w-30 maybe?)

Most of us use 10-40 minimum, a lot of us use rotella 15-40 summer, 10-40 winter.
That will bring up your oil press, change it more often.

DO NOT ATF FLUSH YOUR MOTOR

luck,greg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM