Timing Chain loose in the wrong place?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sdtim

Reaction score
Hi @djkaosone yes!...I'm just north of you in Oceanside. When I started researching this job I found your post. It has been very helpful, thanks for taking the time to document the process.

My original plan was to use the easy method to replace the tensioners and guides. After doing the full teardown I decided to invest the extra money and replace everything. Using a couple of vendors to save cash, I just ordered what Atlantic British has in their "Genuine Timing Chain Replacement Kit" + the gaskets it didn't include + new spark plugs + oil filter.

I'm a little apprehensive about the number of vacuum and coolant lines, the main serpentine belt, and the mountain of plastic parts that need to be reinstalled. I've read through the retiming process in the shop manual several times. I also purchased the full toolkit. I'm hoping everything goes back together smoothly.

Compared to the same repair on my D2, the LR4 seems to have way more spaghetti.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once you get the timing chains and guides back together.
Leave the VVT bolts loose, then pull the grenade pin on the tensioner.
Then tighten the VVT bolts.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Hi @djkaosone yes!...I'm just north of you in Oceanside. When I started researching this job I found your post. It has been very helpful, thanks for taking the time to document the process.

My original plan was to use the easy method to replace the tensioners and guides. After doing the full teardown I decided to invest the extra money and replace everything. Using a couple of vendors to save cash, I just ordered what Atlantic British has in their "Genuine Timing Chain Replacement Kit" + the gaskets it didn't include + new spark plugs + oil filter.

I'm a little apprehensive about the number of vacuum and coolant lines, the main serpentine belt, and the mountain of plastic parts that need to be reinstalled. I've read through the retiming process in the shop manual several times. I also purchased the full toolkit. I'm hoping everything goes back together smoothly.

Compared to the same repair on my D2, the LR4 seems to have way more spaghetti.
The LR4 isn't too bad. It's just getting to each part requires lots of effort. I would also recommend removing the cam sprockets from the cams to clean out the sludge build up. If you need any help, feel free to reach out, but I feel like you got this one.

sdtim

Reaction score
Okay...finally got it back together this afternoon. It fired up on the second try, but is billowing white smoke from the exhaust. :(

I used new gaskets and torqued everything according to the workshop manual. I'm hoping it's something minor. Thoughts on where to start investigating?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut