Timing Chain Seal replacement? Or something else?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Had my 2015 LR4 in at the dealership to replace a filler neck issues caused by a bad recall fuel flange work. While in the shop the tech said I have a bad oil leak, have never noticed any on the garage and I have never had to add more oil to the Rover between 6k-7k mile oil changes. I have noticed the oil level below the full level but never low enough to get the add oil message. Below is a link to the techs video that shows the oil leak at the end of the short video.

When the Tech called me he said it was a leaking timing chain seal that is leaking onto the alternator and will at some point **** it. I have read that several people have had oil leaks **** the alternator but those seem to be valve cover leaks? Guessing a timing chain seal is different? Can anyone tell by the techs video?

Regardless the dealership wants $2,714.98+tax to fix the seals. I called another JUST Land Rover shop and described the oil leak and they quoted me around $700 if it was in fact a timing chain seal. Seems like a HUGE difference in price, of course the indy hasn't inspected the LR4 so maybe it's not the actual timing chain seals and something more expensive?

Lets say it is the timing chain seals....Does anyone know how advanced this type of repair would be?

Thanks in advance

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have the indy shop look at for a second opinion, latley these small shops will send you detailed pictures of the actual leak.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timing chain covers are known to leak, but sure can’t tell from that video. The timing chain cover is above the alternator. That video shows a lot of oil or grease on the bottom of the alternator and all around the vacuum pump. If anything, the top of the alternator looks cleaner than the bottom - but really can’t tell from the video. I’d definitely have someone else take a look before paying out that much for the repair.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Timing chain covers are known to leak, but sure can’t tell from that video. The timing chain cover is above the alternator. That video shows a lot of oil or grease on the bottom of the alternator and all around the vacuum pump. If anything, the top of the alternator looks cleaner than the bottom - but really can’t tell from the video. I’d definitely have someone else take a look before paying out that much for the repair.
Yeah, I second that. Looks more like a vacuum pump oil leak, but it doesn't really show conclusive evidence on the video. Just tell the tech that you're going to get a second opinion from an indy shop, they might change their mind about the diagnosis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut