Tire Size Advice Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I reset the computer to match. It's been so long I couldn't tell you, originally seems like it was 18-20. Now i'm at 14-16. I also have a lot more miles on it, but generally everything is in tip top shape.

racoco

Reaction score
Need to reshod too and moving to larger tires. How did you "reset" the computer? Dealer says I'll be almost 5mph faster than speedo with tire size selected. Thanks.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are settings in the computer that you put in your tire sizes. I assume from there that the computer automatically calculates your speed from there. My speedometer is dead on.

A dealer should be able to edit these values. I used a MSV-2 to do it.

product

Reaction score
Just a quick update... had the Nitto 285s put on and they ride beautifully, look great... highly recommended if you need new rubber.

Best,

Joel

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My winter tires are the narrow taller 235 65 R18 XL"

I am debating going back to a narrower tire due to the apparent adverse effect on mileage of my 285, May go to 275 and see if there is an improvement, unless I find a willing victim to swap wheels for a week to see if it makes a difference for both of us.
How does 235 sound for narrow?

The 235 65 R18 XL is a 30" OD tyre factory rated for the 3. Maybe for sand, wide is good, but for mud and snow, I think narrow and tall is better.

Narrow and tall might even be better for rock as well. To me, wide only works on the track and maybe the autobahn.

Attachments

• Pirelli Ice & Snow tyre sticker and tread.jpg
    Pirelli Ice & Snow tyre sticker and tread.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Pirelli Ice & Snow on 18 inch ten spoke rim showing Scorpion.jpg
    Pirelli Ice & Snow on 18 inch ten spoke rim showing Scorpion.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 21

Mufus

Reaction score
new tires

I also need offroad tires advice.

My car is currently running on 285, on 19" - factory setup.

But i want 18" with the biggest tire available , without any suspension rods or other airmatic alterations.

Rims, tires, and only 30mm TerraFirma spacers.

Any suggestions?

I was looking for BFG - KM2..

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also need offroad tires advice.

My car is currently running on 285, on 19" - factory setup.

But i want 18" with the biggest tire available , without any suspension rods or other airmatic alterations.

Rims, tires, and only 30mm TerraFirma spacers.

Any suggestions?

I was looking for BFG - KM2..

Check out Johnson Rods' website. He has done a great job researching tires and sizes. I don't believe BFG makes one that will fit without a suspension "adjustment".

I have the 285/60 Nitto's with Terrafirma spacers. . Without a lift adjustment they rub at full lock (reversing), annoying but not disastrous. I trimmed the plastic "lip" at the bottom of the wheel well, still a tiny bit of rubbing with the spacers. After my lift, zero rub.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72