Tire size for Cooper AT3's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking at getting some 18" Discoverer AT3's but I have no idea what the actual size is that I'm looking for.

I've tried Googling, but can anyone shed some light on this?

Last edited:

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only size that might work in that tire are the 275/65/18s. However, I assume you will get some rubbing with this size when any wheel is extremely compressed. You'll also need to do that standard moving of the brake wires on the front driver's side wheel and possible relocation of the heater hoses in the rear passenger side well if you have the rear hvac option.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The A/T3 also comes in more "LR3-friendly" 265/65 and 265/60R18 according to Cooper's web site. The latter will be pretty much stock size, so no rubbing issues, easy to fit the spare under the car fully inflated, and your speedo will remain accurate, but at the expense of less sidewall of course. The 265/65 will still fit without mods, although you may expect some very minor rubbing here and there at full compression or steering lock, which should diminish over time as the tread wears a little. Also, the spare will likely be a very tight squeeze under the car, it should fit but most likely only if deflated a great deal and with the heat shield between spare tire and exhaust removed.

A/T3s are Standard Load only in those 2 sizes, no XL or LTs are available in 18" (the 275/65s can be had in E range, but like mentioned above some mods will be required to fit them on an LR3, and you will have to store the spare on the roof or in the trunk - too big to put it under the car.) Other than that, they are reportedly great all-terrain tires. Overland Journal raved about them in a recent comparison test, even versus more established names such as BFG.

Last edited:

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 265/65 is what I'm aiming for, I think if something explodes in the EAS I will still be able to drive. I read that review and I've been considering this tire ever since :)

Now.

My vehicle is an '07. Should I be changing the TPMS sensors? I'd prefer to just move them over TBH but I'm not sure what their expected life is. They seem to work ok still, it did let me know my pressure was off the other day.

Edit: I'm also swapping from 19" to 18" rims

ALso, if I get new ones does the Mhz matter? And they should pick up after 10 minutes or so without any computer chicanery should they not?

Last edited:

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oops! Thanks umbertob. I must have been looking in the Light Truck only section of the Cooper Tire website when I pulled that up. :rolleyes:

Question though based on your response... it was my understanding that you could fit the 275/65/18 as a spare wheel with the heat shield removed and the tire deflated. Are you saying that 265/65/18 is probably the limit?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can barely lift my 285/60/18 Nitto TG G2 up there - deflated to about 15-20 psi or so and with heat shield removed. Even so, if you don't adjust its angle and carefully center the donut as you winch it up, it can get stuck. I can't imagine jamming anything even fractionally larger up in that well, and even if I managed to do so I'd wonder whether it would release back down when I do need it... ;-) But I have never tried stuffing a 275/65/18 up there personally, so mine is just a somewhat educated guess and YMMV.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. There is only 0.07 - 0.1" difference between the 285/60r18 tires and 275/65r18 tires, so if the 275s won't fit, I guess you could always resort to shaving the tire down and then stuffing it up there... it is a spare after all. :)

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cmb I see the difference as much more than that. It's 0.6" of diameter and -.4" of width to go from 285/60 to 275/65. I'm not sure where your numbers are coming from.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the difference in overall diameter is more like 16 mm or 0.6" between those 2 tires, fairly substantial.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to know. There is only 0.07 - 0.1" difference between the 285/60r18 tires and 275/65r18 tires, so if the 275s won't fit, I guess you could always resort to shaving the tire down and then stuffing it up there... it is a spare after all. :)

WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU SMOKING?

285/60 is a 31.4" tire, and often barely that. @75/65 is 32". This size is the limit line between stock and modified. Personally speaking and from experience, the 285/60 is just not an ideal ratio for the factory 8" wide wheels and the space inside the lr3 fenders.

And the smoking part, we don't SHAVE tires here for sake of the rover gods!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM