Ton of faults after an aftermarket subwoofer was installed (SOLVED)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

defiant

Reaction score
Ain't this the truth! Glad OP got his issue solved but I find myself, again, trying to find a decent solution to getting a new head unit in the LR4. It's been years. It shouldn't be this hard!

BT seems to be dying on me now. I'll take the risks of dealing with the fault codes if only there was a solution...

Bovee 1000 Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adapter for in Car iPod Integration https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00B52LLJ6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_UrzGJM6uL6kza

I’ve had one of these for a couple of years now. It works great, only draw back is, it stays connected after you leave the car for a few minutes. Not a big problem, but occasionally frustrating if you’re wanting to listen to the same music after leaving the car.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks like it sits too low in the dash to be usable when driving.
Maybe, we'll see. I don't think it's too low and don't use the screen a lot anyway (begs the question of why buy a new unit then?).

Phone sits up high and that's where most of the music and Nav gets done.

Mostly it's just scratching an itch I have had to modernize the system for years.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm well you would need the metra aftermarket headunit kit which is this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/metra-...er-lr4-vehicles-black/6350025.p?skuId=6350025

it's like $400 give or take. Once you have that you would be able to install any single or double din radio on the market. You will however lose your special land rover screens like 4x4 info and so fourth.

Another option would be to add carplay to the existing headunit. https://www.navtool.com/land-rover-lr4-2010-2011-apple-carplay.aspx

Your third option would be to install one of these tesla style screens that also have the factory land rover screens like 4x4 and settings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2548589872...kvJ_2H0F2YSIw-q7a44cSlvN3Bh5ZM1caAn0KEALw_wcB

your fourth option would be to just purchase a factory headunit off of ebay, one with lower mileage of course. They sell for like $200-$300. They would have less wear and tear on the screen in terms of scratches and it would respond faster than one with a higher mileage. I've personally went this route and just use the bluetooth adapter for spotify.
Great info!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe, we'll see. I don't think it's too low and don't use the screen a lot anyway (begs the question of why buy a new unit then?).

Phone sits up high and that's where most of the music and Nav gets done.

Mostly it's just scratching an itch I have had to modernize the system for years.

I would try the tesla screen the other guy linked here before I'd try that, though.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would try the tesla screen the other guy linked here before I'd try that, though.
I'd prefer to have a modern head unit (Pioneer, Alpine etc...). Something that could be fixed vs a custom screen like that out of China. I can't imagine the challenges if something went wrong with that screen. I may lose some functionality with an off the shelf unit, but all of the lthe stuff I care about will work.

Anyway, like I said, it's a bit of an experiment and we'll see how it comes together.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it works awesome. I use the factory head unit in my LR4 as little as possible. I've thought about swapping it out one day.

Will an aftermarket unit not fit where the stock one is?

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope it works awesome. I use the factory head unit in my LR4 as little as possible. I've thought about swapping it out one day.

Will an aftermarket unit not fit where the stock one is?
That, @ryanjl, is a very good question. The kits I have seen like this all seem to place the screen lower that OEM though I don't know why they could not extend higher.

You did get me thinking about height this evening but the new screen only goes down to the top of the temp gage line and it really doesn't seem like such a big change but, again, we'll see.

I was also thinking abiut the option of buying a newer, used OEM unit and had to laugh: the idea of spending another dollar on that sad, slow little screen [emoji33]

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just tapped into the wiring for the factory sub in the rear hatch and ran that to a custom made boxed subwoofer for the back of my trunk. It's a single 15inch ported box. The amp for that sub is 2k watts. Then I spliced into wiring from the factory amp underneath the passenger front seat to an aftermarket amp. I then opened the 4 doors and swapped the speakers and tweeters. Then i also added another amp and wired in a chuchero box for vocals and highs. My rig is so freaking loud and the bass hits like crazy. I did all of this for about a grand. It's the same as any other vehicle honestly. I didn't even touch the dash or factory radio. It's just like upgrading audio in a civic or maxima.
Would you mind posting photos of the sub/amps?

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve had one of these for a couple of years now. It works great, only draw back is, it stays connected after you leave the car for a few minutes. Not a big problem, but occasionally frustrating if you’re wanting to listen to the same music after leaving the car.

I had a similar “aggressive latching” experience with the Kinivo BT device I used. I always figured that I’d rather have a BT setup that was tough to disconnect vs tough to connect. It was always connected and ready to go by the time I started the engine.

The only time I’d really notice it was when I was listening to a BT speaker in the garage while washing the Rover. When I would jump in to move it back into the garage, it would quickly hijack the stream, which was kind of cool I guess as it allowed me to continue enjoying whatever tune or podcast was playing.

mccurdy21

Reaction score
Has anyone seen a successful install of this? I’d be interested in trying if it actually works... also looking for a remote starter. Wife loves the LR4 and won’t be getting rid of it anytime soon, looking to ‘future proof’ it for her for a while.

Your third option would be to install one of these tesla style screens that also have the factory land rover screens like 4x4 and settings: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2548589872...kvJ_2H0F2YSIw-q7a44cSlvN3Bh5ZM1caAn0KEALw_wcB

your fourth option would be to just purchase a factory headunit off of ebay, one with lower mileage of course. They sell for like $200-$300. They would have less wear and tear on the screen in terms of scratches and it would respond faster than one with a higher mileage. I've personally went this route and just use the bluetooth adapter for spotify.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV