Touch-up Kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rattlee

Reaction score
Just purchased the official Touch-up Kit from Land Rover.
I have a tiny deep scratch on my bonnet.... Was wondering if any one has used this touch-up kit before and would like to know how to go about it.

do i need to use rubbing compound? or a fine sanding paper? before i use this product?

Last edited:

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would only use sandpaper if there is rust showing. Use the rubbing compound after you have your scratch filled in to level it out.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem Rattlee. I use meguiars Sratch-X. It starts off very aggressive and breaks down to a fine polish. I use this on most of the repairs I've done. Works well by hand using a sock or a random orbitable. Dont tape off the section that your working on. I tried this recently and found that it left a slight depression in the clear coat. By not using the tape you bring down a small section that wont be noticable instead of a localized spot.

rattlee

Reaction score
No problem Rattlee. I use meguiars Sratch-X. It starts off very aggressive and breaks down to a fine polish. I use this on most of the repairs I've done. Works well by hand using a sock or a random orbitable. Dont tape off the section that your working on. I tried this recently and found that it left a slight depression in the clear coat. By not using the tape you bring down a small section that wont be noticable instead of a localized spot.

Thanks again, Franky.

BTW: How easy is this process? Have not started on the job yet... probably this weekend.
Right now, I am on the look out for Meguiars products here in the UAE.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I've done it a few times and its not that hard. The hardest part for me was "am I doing the right thing by putting sand paper to a brand new vechicle". I learned by doing it to friends and co workers cars first. I would tell them I'm not sure how it will come out, and they trusted me and were going to have a body shop paint the parts before I spoke to them. After I did the work, none of them went to a body shop.

There are a few different steps I've tried. All depends on the issue. From what you explained, this is how I would repair it. Always work in an area that is clean!

1) Make sure you have enough paint on the brush, but not too much where it wants to drip off the brush.
2) Fill in the scratch with more than what you need.
3) Use a rubber glove to remove excess, Ive also used a credit card as a squegee.
A) I have also left the excess there and sanded it down.
4) Let the paint dry. I like to let it dry for 24 hours. Drying times vary on weather and how humid it is.

5) Now that your paint is dry use the scratch-X to polish the area and clean off any paint that was smeared during the filling process.

(From how you explained your scratch, the paint should have dried / settled. Meaning that your scratch should be filled with your base coat / color, you know have to make the decision if you need to fill it one more time to level it out again (it should be slightly lower)or apply your clear coat)

The process is easy, just take your time, and try to use the scratch-x first before the sand paper. I've used model car sand paper. Its the perfect size for a repair, and ranges from 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, and 12000 grit.

rattlee

Reaction score
This is terrific. So much clarity.
Scared. But excited. and now thanks to Franky, Confident.

Thanks a Ton, Franky.

BTW: Yes, The touch-up Pencil Kit is from Land Rover.

Last edited:

rattlee

Reaction score
Yes Franky, The touch-up Pencil Kit is from Land Rover.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem, glad I could help. Did you get a chance to touch it up yet?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9