TPMS Warning light comes on and off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My LR3 is doing this as well over the past month. I figured it was a leaky valve stem, but now that I have new rim/tires and installed as well as new Land Rover TMPS it must be something else. All pressures are correct for the tires.

Things that make you go hummmm!

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took my LR3 to the dealer they updated the car so it wouldn't look for a spare and set the value to NULL.

This worked for about two days now the messages are back and all pressures are correct....so it looks like a new ECU unit is needed, based on the dealer visit, at a price of $400 and some change plus labor.

Does anyone know if the TPMS ecu be replaced as in swapping out as a DIY?

Can the IIDTool correct the value above and set the '5' wheel to NULL?

Or I can just order the tool, instead of spending $400 bucks on a ECU plus labor and use that money for Gap tool.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a donut tire (that never came with a TPMS sensor) and yet the fault message on a dealer scanner will come up as the spare tire pressure. Mine is acting up much more sporadically of late, it used to be very regular for months and then went away for months, and now is occuring once a week or so for just a few minutes.

Being that my LR3 would have never looked for a spare (since it was not fitted from the factory with any TPMS), I don't think setting the value to null is going to do anything, something is faulty with the ECU that creates this message. It could even be one of the initiators.

The ECU in 2008's is actually up above headliner at the driver side C-pillar. If you have rear AC it requires dropping the rear headliner a ways for access. If not then you can loosing up that side for access. Somewhere along the line they must have moved it from the overhead light console in front, at least for certain configurations. Thanks to RoverGuy7 for that tip!

My understanding is that the Gap Tool will allow you to turn off the system altogether. My issue is so sporadic I keep putting off buying one, and then I went to try and jump on the Lucky8 black friday special (thanks for the tip Umberto) but it was sold out. If I end up with larger tires then I'll pick one up as my 87 year old mother-in-law can barely get in now, so I would have to be able to lower it further to compensate for the larger tires...then I can just shut off the silly light!

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Removing the headliner will be a pia.

I wonder if adding a TPMS sensor to the spare would be the easier and less costly route. I did read that the spare must be paired by driving the LR and will register with the ecu automatically, and then you can place it in the spare tire storage.

Since the damn thing keeps looking for the spare just add the sensor and sync the donut.

Last edited:

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contemplated that too as I plan to get new tires next week anyway (plus a full size spare). But, in reading many threads on this issue there is no gurantee that just because that is the error message being presented that putting in a sensor will resolve it. It could still be some other issue. I also figured the batteries in the darn sensors do not last forever either, so realitically at 8-9 years old I should probably replace all the sensors as one is bound to go at some point. It seems a lot of ECU's do eventually fail too, so I figure in the end the most economical route is to just turn off the system with the IIDTool. At least with that expense you get other benefits...Dumping $500+ into the TPMS system does nothing for me except turn off a little light....

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a used ECU on eBay for $70 shipped.

Hum

I ordered the IIDtool last night. :call2:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99