Tps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, only after throttle is released from mid-range application of throttle. And it does it intermittently. Kind of hard to describe as it is a bit picky when it decides to do it. It hasn't happened much lately, or I've gotten used to it. ;)

LRWheelman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Jeff, @ what speed do you notice this. I once had a surge @ 50-52 mph, or so I thought, but it was my trans shifting or torque converter doing its job, I can't remember which........ LRW.

D

discomike

Jeff,
If you just had the VSS replaced a couple of months ago go back and see Andrew and if it is bad he can replace it under warranty.
Mike J.

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This problem has been continuous (intermittently continuous) since I owned the vehicle, before and after the VSS was replaced. The VSS immediately cured the far more serious loss of power symptoms at around highway speeds. I'm really positive that it isn't the VSS, due to that, and the fact that the other symptoms never stopped happening intermittently...along with the close-to-near-destruction of my current TPS. hehe

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPS, good idea, bad quality mod

Jeff Discos, did you check the resistance of the TPS thru it's normal range? Was the resistance across the scale smooth? There is nothing wrong with making the holes elongated to get the right voltage for the ECU. Your photo showed a "animal version" thats all. It's a different unit on the 4.0 vs 3.9. When the voltage set right you'll have more power and a smoother running engine as you changed the fuel/air ratio, that's a good thing because they run too lean from the factory. Over heat, lower power, can crack block but it's clean on smog, so what, your choice. It takes less than a minute to return back to super lean for smog tests. Longer life with a retuned engine, crisp throttle response and more power make Rovers more fun to drive. Carl..o&o>..

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carl, I don't know what the normal range is. I was told to check and see if the voltage went back to the baseline level without any jumps or fluctuations. Do I need a second person in the driver seat to do that? I could get someone to do that for me. But then again, I don't know if my testers are responsive enough to check that accurately.

By super lean, you mean the TPS should be situated so that the TPS detects less throttle?

Thanks for the help, I'm a rookie with some of this stuff.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff - you can change throttle position by hand, just moving throttle linkage. Seeing that this is mere potentiometer you should be able to hook it to your Ohm-meter and get readings even without truck running.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Jeff..Can I bring my Rover too. My dashboard is lit up like a Christmas Tree... Lil sis was driving the Rover when I get a call ..."Mel Oh my gosh the ABS light just came on and the Rover will not stop!!" I keep chanting under my breathe " Yes I love my Rover, Yes I love my Rover..." So the saga continues..

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure, get Henry airlifted over here and um...well, I'm probably not the right guy to bring it to. ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72