Tps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RoverChic said:
Jeff..Can I bring my Rover too. My dashboard is lit up like a Christmas Tree... Lil sis was driving the Rover when I get a call ..."Mel Oh my gosh the ABS light just came on and the Rover will not stop!!" I keep chanting under my breathe " Yes I love my Rover, Yes I love my Rover..." So the saga continues..

LOL..

Here is dialogue from my garage on last thursday (translated from russian - friends came to visit from Houston)
Viktor: what? Looking for mallet?
Sergei: yep. *searching some more* Aha! Here it is!
Viktor: eh? You were serious?
Sergei: bloody well i was! *hitting plenum to get cover off, as its glued itself to rest of plenum*
Viktor: oy.. Me Mazda would be dead by now. Good god, those things built cool.
Sergei: *evishly grinning* wanna see whats under rocker covers? Those things need new gaskets anyway and i seen that loose bolt there that needs tightening.
Viktor: *grinning insanely* yep!

As a result took rocker covers, head covers, plenum, rocker shafts, pushers & etc were cleaned up :)
Seems to make truck pretty happy too. Right hand rocker cover is pita to deal with though.

beemer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TPS & Air Mass Meter voltage settings

Jeff Discos, with a good battery, engine off and ignition on at the TPS, three wires, Red, Green,Yellow. Hook a digital meter to Red+ and Green -, at idle position you should have .33-.35 volts, if not slot the holes and rotate TPS to correct readings. On the Air Mass Meter go to wire blue w/brown trace - and red w/black trace + , the readings should be 1.5-1.95 volts. Carl....o&o>...

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot something...

I'm colorblind. I can't tell which wires on the TPS to test. I'm really at a loss here, and guessing just seems silly. Which of these wires on the 'TPS wires' attachment is red, and which is green? I struggled with myself for a while, but in the end, I really needed to ask. Oh, and how are you supposed to get the testeres into that spot? It's a tight spot, and they're small wires.

I also am attaching the MAF just for confirmation of which wires to test...because the reading I'm getting is .150v from the blue w/brown trace - and red w/black trace + wires. I used the obd2 scanning software I recently bought, and the MAF read 0.009#/min at all engine speeds. I assume those are related. :frown: Still learning how to use the obd2 scanner however....that may be an issue.

Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

• TPS wires.jpg
    TPS wires.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 48
  • MAF wires.jpg
    MAF wires.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really. I'm colorblind...about as colorblind as a person can be. Red/green/yellow/blue/purple/etc.

Someone just look at the attached pics and tell me what the colors are.

Thanks. :cool:

P.S. My gf used to make fun of what I would wear, and try to make me think it didn't match one bit. That was fun. Especially the yellow shirt and plaid pants part.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff:

In the picture of your MAF wires, it goes red/blue/orange from left to right.

In the picture of your TPS wires, it goes orange/yellow/red.

Those orange wires almost look red, though....someone else?

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Jeff ~ Hope this helps

Jeff this was all that I could round up on the TPS .... From mine (1998 D1) I would guess Orange/Red/Green ....Weird they are not the same colors? Hmm..The things that make you go humm??
On yours I would say Orange/Yellow/Red (TPS)

Attachments

• Cnv0212.jpg
    Cnv0212.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff easiest way is to look on schematics at rave CD for connectors.
There are description on what goes where with positions.

To get readings what you really do is unplugging wire and putting probes in place of plug.
At least thats what i do :)

Jeff Discos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sergei, you mean unplug the connector from the TPS or the MAF and take the reading on the unconnected plug? Does that work?

I just bought a rave cd on ebay. Waiting for that to come in, and will check it out.

Thank you all for your help. Without this place I'd be going to the dealer or other place often. One other place I found good help was from british pacific. Their guy that answered the phone when I called to order an o2 sensor was extremely helpful and knowledgeable about troubleshooting certain problems.

Thanks!

Jeff

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeff - well you dont really need whole truck running to get TPS readings. You got to find which one of connections is sending out current (its still not clear for me why the heck the got 3 wires where they really need 2) and which one is reading. Stick microvoltmeter probes in there, set it up to read resistance, and just move throttle by hands (you can do it easily but pushing throttle linkage thingy with vacuum blob on it).

To measure MAF output its harder a tad, but you can read cold output in same way, and then you can disconnect MAF plug with truck running and get readings too. It wont really react if you do it fast enough (i drove with MAF disconnected for like 15 mins without CE light coming up)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA