Trailer Towing With A Friction Sway Control Vs WDH

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pbrover

Reaction score
I tow a high wall Starcraft Pop-up Max Weight 3,750lbs

I how a twin propane and a twin battery set-up so my tongue weight is probably in the range of 515lbs - 550lbs. The LR3 pulls my large pop-up like a champ. I know I don't have the same issues as everybody else regarding the need for WDH but thought I would jump-in to let everybody else know that there is another LR3 pulling a trailer. My pop-up is rock steady even in cross winds due to it's :hello:low profile (only 5.3 ft tall when closed).

SKLau

Reaction score
...the trailer hitch receiver on the LR3 is a little goofy, and its design may not be capable of handling the different forces/torques that a WDH applies to the hitch. A WDH applies a torque thru the trailer hitch receiver (with the ball as the pivot point), to transfer load to the front axle, which is opposite (but of smaller magnitude) to the torque applied when no WDH is used. Perhaps the receiver cannot handle this load, or perhaps the security of the locking pin is reduced, or something

CoreyS, this is a good theory. While we would not know whether your postulation is true or not without the appropriate engineering anslysis, these are the types of things that many LR owners like you and me would like to know. Logical technical explanations like this (or possibly others), if validated, will go a long way in helping LR owners understand why WDH is banned, and more importantly, persuading people from risking their safety by choosing on their own to install WDH on their LRs. This will be much more effective than just telling people that WDH should not be used.

cjmajm

Reaction score
I just finished a 2400 mile trip towing a 28 ft., 6000 lb + trailer with my 06 LR3. I use a Hensley Arrow which has built in weight distributing bars. I had no problems with the suspension or anything else. In fact, the ability to raise and lower from Normal ride height helped in a few situations since the camper has a low ride height.

Here's a picture of my set up:

camper set up.jpg

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I know I like the Hensley Arrow, and when I do get a camper I will have a Hensley Arrow attached to my vehicle.

SKLau

Reaction score
[I just finished a 2400 mile trip towing a 28 ft., 6000 lb + trailer with my 06 LR3. I use a Hensley Arrow which has built in weight distributing bars. I had no problems with the suspension or anything else. In fact, the ability to raise and lower from Normal ride height helped in a few situations since the camper has a low ride height.
/QUOTE]

cjmajm,

Thanks for the report.

Last year I had also thought about getting a Hensley Arrow to help my towing. After explaining to a technical person there that because LR did not approve the use of a WDH I would like to consider a HA, he told me that HA is also a type of WDH. I had not revisited this idea since.

It is interesting to hear another positive report on the use of a weight distributing type hitch on LR3. So far, I have read a number of such positive reports but could only find one about having some problem with the WDH (FloridaLR who said that his ride was less smooth with a WDH) ....Humm

Anyone else has encountered problems with using WDH on his LR3?

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone else has encountered problems with using WDH on his LR3?

Well, I took the plunge and bought a new Keystone Outback 25RSS. Here are some specs to consider:

o length: 25'10"
o width: 8'
o height: 10'3"
o weight (dry): 5730
o GVWR: 7035
o tongue weight (dry): 370

The dealer installed a WDH with friction SC. It's not a Hensley Arrow ($3000, ouch!) but it's a tried and true Reese. I installed a Prodigy brake controller (piece of cake - get the Ford F-150 adapter and it plugs right in) prior to picking up the travel trailer.

So, after hooking up it was time to go home. 150 miles, up the San Bernardino Mountains, thru busy I-15 traffic, and with about a 15-20kt crosswind. NO PROBLEMS! The suspension DOES NOT try to over-compensate the effects of the WDH. It tows without any issue except that I think it's geared all wrong for towing. 6% grades will slow you down to about 40-45 MPH and my mileage for the trip home was a dismal 10.2 MPG. Well, I knew that I would have to make a compromise somewhere. I just wish LR would give us the diesel!

Now, with all that said, I do have a problem with the LR3 towing large trailers. With a wheelbase under 114", most folks would say that the most a LR3 should tow would be about a 18-19' trailer. And I think that I'm starting to believe the same. When trailer sway starts and can't be controlled, the short wheelbase of the LR3 could be disasterous. Think of it as someone trying to push you over with your feet close together - short wheelbase. If your feet were wider apart (longer wheelbase), you'd have a better chance of staying upright.

Anyway, that's my report. I hope it helps.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I took the plunge and bought a new Keystone Outback 25RSS. Here are some specs to consider:

Nice camper... that is the same model that I have been looking at for a while.

cjmajm

Reaction score
Airboss: "So, after hooking up it was time to go home. 150 miles, up the San Bernardino Mountains, thru busy I-15 traffic, and with about a 15-20kt crosswind. NO PROBLEMS! The suspension DOES NOT try to over-compensate the effects of the WDH. It tows without any issue except that I think it's geared all wrong for towing. 6% grades will slow you down to about 40-45 MPH and my mileage for the trip home was a dismal 10.2 MPG. Well, I knew that I would have to make a compromise somewhere. I just wish LR would give us the diesel!"

The good thing about the LR3 is that in Sport/Manual mode you can control the gearing much better while towing. There were a few hills where I was in 3rd gear chugging up at 5000 rpms.

Airboss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally

Finally got around to taking a picture.

Attachments

• RIMG0097 (Small).JPG
    RIMG0097 (Small).JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 93

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics