Trailer wiring harness question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gmosley

Reaction score
I just ordered the wiring harness so I can begin towing a bass boat. When I received it I noticed that the pin connector is vastly different from what I need. I talked with the dealership and they assured me that it will work with any trailer in the US. I might be simple, but based on the design of the connector on the boat trailer (7 pin with 4 pins active) and the 2014 LR4 wiring harness, I don't see how it is possible. I sent a picture of the wiring harness to the boat dealer and none of them have ever seen this design before. Have others had to buy an adapter in order to tow. I am sure you need more info to provide a response, but this is what I have for now. I am supposed to pick the boat up on Friday and plan on installing the harness tomorrow and then take it to the dealer for the tow assist feature to be activated. The sooner I know if it will work as the dealer mentioned, or if I need an adapter, the better. I was planning on breaking in the boat motor this weekend.

Last edited:

Gmosley

Reaction score
I just ordered the wiring harness so I can begin towing a bass boat. When I received it I noticed that the pin connector is vastly different from what I need. I talked with the dealership and they assured me that it will work with any trailer in the US. I might be simple, but based on the design of the connector on the boat trailer (7 pin with 4 pins active) and the 2014 LR4 wiring harness, I don't see how it is possible. I sent a picture of the wiring harness to the boat dealer and none of them have ever seen this design before. Have others had to buy an adapter in order to tow. I am sure you need more info to provide a response, but this is what I have for now. I am supposed to pick the boat up on Friday and plan on installing the harness tomorrow and then take it to the dealer for the tow assist feature to be activated. The sooner I know if it will work as the dealer mentioned, or if I need an adapter, the better. I was planning on breaking in the boat motor this weekend.
Photo attached

Attachments

• Land Rover wiring harness.jpg
    Land Rover wiring harness.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 29

Gmosley

Reaction score
After looking carefully at photos, I think the european harness was placed in the box for part number VPLAT0137. I don't think it was checked by the dealer prior to mailing it to me.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After looking carefully at photos, I think the european harness was placed in the box for part number VPLAT0137. I don't think it was checked by the dealer prior to mailing it to me.

That sounds right. I've never seen that interface before either, only 7-pin or the flat 4-pin setup. Hope you're still able to get out on the water this weekend somehow.

Gmosley

Reaction score
LR confirmed that it is the wrong part and that it isn't the first time it has happened. The bad part is that even if they overnight another one, they won't know if it is the right part in the box. I would think it would be easy enough for the warehouse to open the box and make sure, but that isn't what they do.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like he was planning to install it himself but only go to dealer for programming (which I don't think is necessary).

Gmosley, I know you didn't ask for advice on other places to find that item, but I agree w/PaulLR3 that AB is a great call. I installed their OEM alternative harness and it was topgrade quality. I ran into a few hassles that persistence and a good working knowledge of 4-letter words took care of. Otherwise it was a satisfying project. Maybe the original order can be cancelled/refunded and you can get the piece overnighted from AB at quite a savings to boot. They will also take the time to make sure your order is right. If you ask nicely they may even give you the $99 (plus shipping) price that I paid back in early May...

Good luck.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran into a few hassles that persistence and a good working knowledge of 4-letter words took care of. Otherwise it was a satisfying project.

So true, I had some choice words stuffing the big plug through the bumper cut out and also wrestling with the connectors. If you have small hands you will have an easier time working with the connectors.

I also knew to use a plastic putty knife to pry the taillight toward the rear. My old LR3 went through lots of taillight bulbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9