transmission issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kweakley

Reaction score
Hello.
I have a 1999 discovery series 1 SD. In decent overall condition with regular maintenance done. After not starting for about 2 weeks or so my wife went out and started it. But when she put in reverse to back out it sounded like gears wear clicking and clanging in the transmission. A better example would be that it sounds like you dump your tool box on floor cling. There was no jerking or any thing like that. If any would could help me out if a possible diagnosis it would be greatly appreciated. Again it makes no unusual noises when in park. Thanks in advance.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would check the fluid level of both the transmission and the Transfer case to make sure they are full.

kweakley

Reaction score
checked fluid on both tranny and case they are full. Any other suggestions?

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd take a good look at your u-joints and your diff oil.

You said it made "clicking" noises

It's not uncommon for u-joints to "click" just b/4 they break.

luck,greg

garyo

Reaction score
I have a 99 discovery 2. Battery died this weekend and charged it while still connected to vehicle, afterwards when put in drive it would go throught 1st second and third and no luck on the main (D) Gear...We got the faults with the M and the S light up and the flasing D(drive)...Did I cause a transmission failure by putting a charger to my battery for about 20 minutes (i now understand thats a no-no) or is it coincidence and the transmission is gone...After a little further diagnosis (a friend with a computer for vehicles) the faults came up P7O22 and PO500 output speed sensor no signal and speed sensor A...The dealer say's bring it in and I brought it to AAMCO instead and they want to tear it apart!! Any thoughts...118000 miles and no prior transmission problems or maintenance for that matter...

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's a shame - The output speed sensor tells the trans when to shift, I'd go for that, it's way cheaper than tearing your trans apart.

The trans people make money on tearing apart or replacing transmissions, not spending 20mins replacing a hundred dollar part (if it costs that much) that you can see if you look under the car.

I'm aSSuming the trans was good b/4 this.

The p7022 I'm not familiar with

AND I've always left the jumpers on for at least 5mins b/4 trying to start, that should not be a problem (Black cable last on, first off to minimize poss sparks)

luck,greg

garyo

Reaction score
Thanks Greg...The Dealer say's that part dosent exist...over the phone(in the Service Department), Where do you suggest I get the part? it's worth a shot!! the po722 is code for Out speed sensor and po500 said sensor A?...Im not giving up on it yet...

vbwebsites

Reaction score
Anyone have a picture on where the speed sensor referenced is located?

kweakley

Reaction score
Well I took to tranny shop yesterday after I took look at drive shaft and it had snapped off on side closest to tranny. So I figured I was gonna be in for it. I was lucky though no damage to tranny. How ever the tranny shop wasnt happy b/c I told him hell no when said he could have it replaced with used, not rebuilt, driveshaft for 800 to 850. However I told him he could put on used driveshaft I can from lr shop I go normally (which is much less),so I was like forget then and he ended up with no money. Too bad for him. So I'll be rolling again by Monday afternoon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM