Transmission Service and Alignment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Primetime

Reaction score
In another thread I show I’m having a strange metallic whine/rattle/interference when I accelerate. To cross it off the list and given my mileage (99,000) I’m going to be getting a transmission service done at a local tranny shop this Friday and I wanted to check on two things.

One, the owner tells me that the land rover ZF is identical to a ford tranny, and that the gasket/filter replacement housing are the same. He told me he doesn’t care if I want to get the actual one or not (he said I can bring him the parts so he’s not trying to make money on it) but he says the ford one will be cheaper. This guy is good friends of a friend of mine and in the 10 minute conversation I had with him proved that he knows his stuff. Has anyone heard this before? He said he’s done them on land rovers in the past.

Two, I’ve read the tranny sleeve on the lr3 is prone to leak/have problems but is that true for the LR4? Want to make sure to tell him to do it if you fine people believe it to be.

Then, I also want to get an alignment. Is this a dealer only thing (around here it’s $230 for it, rediculous). I can get a lifetime Firestone alignment service for $150. I will pay the piper if need be, but I would rather not spend the money if it’s the same.... something tells me though that LR has something up their sleeve on this one. One thing to note, my discovery 2 that had 205,000 miles on it and hit every pothole here in the N.Y. metropolitan area, never needing an alignment and drove pin straight. I don’t buy the bull of these are heavy cars so they need new tires and alignments often.

Last edited:

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard that the tranny is the same as found in many f150s. Can't confirm for sure though.

As far as I know the only funny part about the alignment is that the air suspension is supposed to be put in a special mode first.

I think it eats tires because it comes with wimpy car tires in a stupid size. Put load range E 18" tires on it and I bet they last fine. My f250 weighs almost a ton more and it's tires last just fine.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
You don't need to use the tight tolerance mode for alignment - that stemmed from when the LR3 came out and the alignment specs were misprinted.

I'll go ahead and disagree with that. I have unlimited lifetime alignments at both Firestone and Certified Tires. Long story short, Firestone couldn't quite get the alignment corrected without putting it into tight tolerance, I've been in and out 3 times within 2 weeks due to my work schedule. Certified Tire just happened to price match what I paid at Firestone and was able to get me on the rack right then and there. I placed it in tight tolerance and everything lined up perfectly and drove straight. Your suspension will constantly adjust +/-10mm, even with just opening/closing a door. This will throw off your alignment. So far, I've been in and out of alignments over 10 times with my rig.

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I should say that tight tolerance is not required if someone knows what they are doing - my local Indy shop does not use it either for same reasons described in the posts, but he knows exactly what he is doing and what to look for. The indy shop owner only trusts one person at the LR dealer to do it when he cannot, so I suspect it is an aid for the uniformed, but not required to do the job.

Anyone and everyone with a modern alignment rack says they can do any car, but it still takes a tech with a head on their shoulders to get it "just exactly perfect".

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I guess I should say that tight tolerance is not required if someone knows what they are doing

I couldn't agree with you more. Only 1 guy out of the many alignment shops out there besides LR indy shops knew what he was doing, and that 1 guy can bang it out in 30 minutes. I've once waited over 2 hours watching this fellow mess around and still couldn't get it right.

Primetime

Reaction score
So in other words if I get a firestone unlimited package and then buy a scanner that can put the truck in TTM then I should be good? If that’s the case what’s the recommended scanner? I’ve been wanting to buy one so I guess this is the time.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM