Transmission swap

Discussion in 'LR4' started by scott schmerge, May 9, 2019.

Should I or shouldn’t I

1. Go for it!

100.0%
  2. Don’t be stupid

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. scott schmerge

scott schmerge Full Access Member

Yes, replaced those during last service (about 3000mi ago) Nothing was wrong with my previous solenoids, just wanted it done to rule out issues.

Not planning to take the solenoids out of the donor valve body. I also have a second set that is also good (already pulled).

Plan is to pull valve body, get it tested, and sell it. Pull torque converter and hold transmission (as internals are still good). Torque converter is failure point here, I believe. If that’s not the issue, it’s valve body (of which I now have a new one).

I’ll get torque converter rebuilt and have a backup trans at my disposal should I need it. If the valve body test fails, will rebuild valve body. Open to selling transmission if someone is desperate for it.

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  2. scott schmerge

Sh17!!!!!! Those jackasses moved the torque converter access from behind the starter (on LR3) to behind the freaking differential on the LR4. Differential removal required just to access torque converter bolts!!!!! I’m tapping out! It’s going back together and I’m paying my guy $1000 to do it. Stupid to not... she’s going back together boys. Sorry to disappoint

gsxr likes this.
  3. scott schmerge

Should have done frame off as suggested!!!

4. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

You gave it a better effort than most others would have. If I were you, I'd pay that $1,000, sit and drink a good scotch, and wonder what all the less fortunate people are doing.

cperez, Frank8, avslash and 2 others like this.
  5. gsxr

gsxr Full Access Member

HAHAHAHAHA! Good one! No, seriously, how do you access the converter bolts...?

:laugh:

6. scott schmerge

Friggin crazy. In the workshop manual it references removing the differential and I kind of ignored it thinking it unnecessary. Then I was looking for the access hole above the starter and it hit me- and I started looking at the manual again- and sure as $hi7, they moved the damn thing to the other side above the friggin diff! British bastards!

If you are reading this, and plan to replace the transmission, body off is the way to go. I don’t have a lift and didn’t want to get into it that way, but would have likely been way easier!

See WSM- drivers side access to converter bolts!

03A29141-0F58-4721-9584-0E194F69EABC.png

Had it in my head from LR3 video I watched that the access would be above the starter motor. Devil is in the details.

Just before I hit this issue, I was thinking “this is not that terrible”, involved but not terrible. I take it all back!!!!

Last edited: May 24, 2019
    ryanjl and gsxr like this.
  7. TheWidup

TheWidup Full Access Member

Thanks for the investigative work and the laughs! Sorry it didn't end up working out!

8. scott schmerge

It was a bit more than investigative, but glad it was good for a laugh. Hoping it goes back together as easily as it came apart!

TheWidup likes this.
  9. mbw

mbw Full Access Member

Im curious how a guy can quote that job at $1k... A dealership would charge that for a full front and rear brake job, lol

10. scott schmerge

He’s familiar with the job and my independent referred me to him. That’s who they have do all their transmission work- I don’t know how he can make a living off what he charges.

I’m going to ask if he’ll let me assist.

No joke on the stealership!