Traxide D3-DU dual battery kit on 2013 LR4 Help Please..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b.anzellotti

Reaction score
Hi all,

I started my dual battery install today using a Traxide D3-DU kit and Optima D34. When I was living in New Zealand I installed a kit made for the Discovery 4 3.0 Diesel over there and it was super easy. On this one I am a bit confused though. Everything is backwards. But at least I don’t have to worry about relocating the glow plug box.

If any could give advice it would be greatly appreciated..

Where I am at is the rear is complete and the cabling run into the engine bay. Where I am a bit lost is what side of engine bay does the USI-160 Relay normally go on? For US Market LHD our Cranking battery is on the passenger side and the Auxiliary battery is on the driver side. Does the USI-160 stay close to the Aux battery? Anyone have a pic or description of how they mounted it? I think I’ve seen a pic of it mounted in the spot where the other relay goes normally under the battery box, rear of box towards center of car. If that’s how it goes, where do you pick up for the small ground wire?

Also another question is does anyone no the part number or where to go for the LR OEM battery hold down bracket for the driver side? The one supplied is an aluminum square bar. I’ve seen pics of the LR one and it looks same as the cranking battery one. I’m pretty sure it would be the same as what I had on my New Zealand LR. ??

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Screen%20Shot%202018-03-22%20at%208.54.20%20AM-X3.png

b.anzellotti

Reaction score
Thanks mate, I got it today in the end. Ended up doing the same. Was a little harder because the Negative terminal had to be forward and the USI-160 is a lot larger and has two Positive terminal posts.
It was quite the hassle because every thing I remember from the last install is backwards.

I did remember that there is that square hold down below brake fluid reservoir and that has hold the wire loom for whatever it is.

I tried to do the mod to the TCU case and use the mount and the cover, (have to add washers under the brake line block holder.PIA but it just took too much room.) I ended up flattening the horn bracket and used the TCU lid. Horn ended up on a screw I found near the earth bolt and faces forward.

Finally done and now need to settle on what fridge I want.

mikegraef

Reaction score
Question - where did you get the battery hold down bracket that fits in the LR4 2nd battery bay? I couldn't find one when I did mine in 2018 and had to get creative in building one that would work. Having a link to the one that fits that bay would be SUPER HELPFUL for others!!!

georound

Reaction score
You can easily order on on eBay. Search for LR4 dual battery bracket. Sold by British Parts of Utah part number YJF500100R. $50. I ordered it, but had an Odyssey battery with a different shaped top and it wouldn’t work (too wide). Used the long bolts and bent a piece of aluminum bar stock and drilled at the correct spots.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I constructed my own using threaded rod and a some universal bracket. For whatever reason, the factory one wouludn't clear the oversized battery I stuffed in there.

Several thousand miles and no issues with my "custom" solution.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I thought my install on my LR3 many years back was nice and neat - I am impressed.

My question is what software or whatever did you use to type the instructions and draw the nice straight arrows? That does make your jpg look quality to match your install.

I put warning messages on both battery covers as I have independents service my 3. I did not want them thinking that disconnecting the cranking battery meant there was no potential battery power connected to the vehicle.

Aux Battery vent 8.jpg

IMGP0432.JPG

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I thought my install on my LR3 many years back was nice and neat - I am impressed.

My question is what software or whatever did you use to type the instructions and draw the nice straight arrows? That does make your jpg look quality to match your install.

I put warning messages on both battery covers as I have independents service my 3. I did not want them thinking that disconnecting the cranking battery meant there was no potential battery power connected to the vehicle.

I just put my image into a google drawing doc and drew some lines on it with text and then screenshotted it.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2016 LR4, and I am wondering if it is even possible to move any of those components in the 2nd battery compartment to fit a second batt. Otherwise, I am thinking putting it below the floorboards behind the middle row seats.

I also have a 2013 that I want to add a Traxide kit to, and that looks more feasible from the above pics.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the 2016, @Michael Gain had a pretty exhaustive thread on his efforts to install a second battery on his 2016.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72