Truck Burning Rich

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael99b

Reaction score
I have a 2013 HSE with 60k miles. It has been dealer maintained since new. Recently I noticed a strong fuel odor from the exhaust when I start the truck in the morning. It is definitely burning rich. Any thoughts regarding why this is happening and what I can do about it?

Last edited:

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after the cold start like 90 seconds later does it still smell like fuel? My truck from new starts with a powerful gust of thick gray smoke that smells like fuel and exhaust, but clears after about 45 seconds. The exhaust smoke is clean and there is literally no smell. If its running rich it should be a blackish colored exhaust smoke. Please report back.

Michael99b

Reaction score
I do not get black smoke. The odor of fuel in the fumes does not go away.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be a leaking injector - fuel leaks into the cylinder as it sets giving you a rich start. The other thing that comes to mind is the cracked fuel flange issue - are you sure you’re not smelling raw fuel from the tank (somewhat close to the tailpipes is the reason I ask).

Michael99b

Reaction score
Thanks for the concern, but it's not raw fuel. Could be a leaking injector. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut