Trunk Latch Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05LR3MA

Reaction score
I have an '05 LR3. The other day I tried to open the trunk but nothing happened. I could hear the electronic mechanism but the trunk still wouldn't open. Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback!

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 LR3. The other day I tried to open the trunk but nothing happened. I could hear the electronic mechanism but the trunk still wouldn't open. Has anyone run into this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback!

Search this forum. Happens every 2.5 years. Silly design inside the tailgate. I just have the dealership break into the truck and open up the tailgate and replace the failed part. It is a pain when the trunk is full up with stuff. And, replacement is not free. Others on this forum have suggested improved solutions, but my dealership refuses to implement them.

05LR3MA

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Do you think it would be covered under the LR certification program? What have they charged you in the past to fix?

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! Do you think it would be covered under the LR certification program? What have they charged you in the past to fix?

I'll see if I can dig out the most recent receipt tomorrow. The first one I believe was covered by the original LR warranty.

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll see if I can dig out the most recent receipt tomorrow. The first one I believe was covered by the original LR warranty.

Parts = $235

Plus labor.

I can't figure out the labor because multiple items were repaired. Maybe $150.

buybrakes

Reaction score
LR Tail gate cable defect

Happens to many according to the research I've done. Should be a class action on this one. There is no fail-safe if the cable breaks, so the only way to get in to the rear hatch is to have a dealer force the inside rear panel pieces off and then replace cable or reattach. Cost me just under $300 and it happened one money past my warranty expiration.

Hock

Reaction score
Read this post, I followed this and fixed myself. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19249 which include the technical bulletin . If under warranty get them to do it, because it is not fun. 9/10 times I think they can fix without replacing parts - should be about $200. Any decent mechanic can open the top gate without ruining the carpet panel, IMHO - but a lot of shops will take the easy route and cut your carpet panel, then replace it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72