Trusted transmission shops in LA area?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I was driving back from La Quinta in California and my transmission, which has been strong for 136k decided it did not want to hold 5th gear anymore. Car would be in 5th gear the RPM would judder a little bit and then it would throw itself into 6th with a little thump until finally it displayed “gearbox fault” and threw itself into neutral. I was able to limp it back home by manually shifting it into 4th and being very light on the throttle every time I needed to accelerate slightly or go up any hill. IID tool pulled code “P2702-07 Mechanical Failure, E Clutch Internally Failed.” Looked up this code online and it seems to be pretty common on these ZF6 speeds. Everyone says that after this code the shop just recommends doing a complete overhaul since these transmissions only last around 150k miles. My valve body was also inspected around 30k miles ago and has worked perfectly so I don’t believe that is the issue what so ever. So does anyone know any trusted transmission shops in the LA area that will do a proper and complete overhaul for a reasonable price and will do a good service on the valve body as well?

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been having issues with the tranny for a while in very hot temperatures, Probably since about 100k. It would slip between changes 3-4 when on harder acceleration or accelerating up a hill. I had fluids checked and my valve body inspected and everyone said everything looked good. That’s when I knew it was a problem with the e clutch. But the slip wasn’t a big deal and it was sort of predictable so I got good at avoiding it by going into mannual and putting a certain amount of throttle on it. But this time it wouldn’t even hold a gear and I could see the rpm’s moving as it was slipping out of 5th gear so that’s how I knew that the e clutch was fried and the tranny was soon to be toast. The code confirmed it too. I found a guy today that is a Jaguar Land Rover only parts dealer that also does used and remanufactured engines and transmissions. He quoted me 3500 for a remanufactured tranny and I was shocked because I had been quoted like 6500 years back when the slip first happened. This guy is also the parts dealer to my old mechanic who was over priced for their labor but still had good parts. So I left it with them and I’m expected to get it back later this week and I will let you guys know how it goes.

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you’ve got your bases covered. Let the forum know if they take off the body or remove it from underneath. Apparently it’s possible underneath but a real pain.

Fingers crossed you get another 150k :)

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The ZF 6HP is generally regarded as a pretty robust transmission, given proper maintenance. Where does this metric come from?
I had heard that around the forum. Normally the e clutch is the first one to give but I guess it depends on Where you live and if you face hills on the daily basis

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
It kinda sounds like a mechanical issue to me. It's probably cheaper to get one on the used market. I replaced mine for about $2400, that's including labor with body on.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It kinda sounds like a mechanical issue to me. It's probably cheaper to get one on the used market. I replaced mine for about $2400, that's including labor with body on.
3500 was the best I was quoted for a remanufactured/new trans with labor and a rear mane seal included. Most places in California will try to charge you 5500-6500 for a rebuild/remanufactured transmission and labor.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA