Two Week Report

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jefforysm

Hi All. First off a big "Thank you" to all that contribute to the forum. I have been lurking for two months researching the LR3. Finally pulled the trigger two weeks ago and wanted to give a report.

The two finalists were the Lexus GX and the LR3. I also drove the X5, Cayanne, & XC90. I am moving from a BMW 540i. My wife got tired of swapping cars (Highlander) when ever I had to haul the kid and the dog together (no, the dog was not allowed in the BMW but the kid was :biggrin: ) The GX reminded me too much of my grandmothers Lincoln. Soft and buttery. Fine if that is what you like but a big step away from a BMW.

The LR3 matched exactly what I wanted but the concerns voiced here got me a bit scared. So I when to the dealer (LR of Dallas) with a laundry list of questions (door panels, gas tank, random elec faults). After good and what I think were honest discussions with sales as well as service I decided to pull the trigger. Black/Tan HSE with the luxury package.

First off to Tweeter to get the XM installed. Still don't understand why satellite is not offered in the LR3. Wound up with the Terk Commander. Not jazzed about the brand but it fit perfectly under the cig/power adapter/ashtray portion of the console. Plus the fact that it is black and grey makes it blend into the interior. They wired it direct to the aux in. Everything works great.

The first week was all in town driving. I think I got 11 mpg on a 12 mph average. Wednesday brought the holiday and the trip down to Austin. Average speed down was 59mph with the traffic out of Dallas. The trip home averaged 71 MPH. No traffic. Both achieved 18 mpg according to the computer.

Other notes. It takes a while (upwards of 10 minutes) for the fuel gauge to read full after topping off. It goes straight to 3/4 tank and then the slow rise after that. The lack of adjustable lumbar support did not bother me. Curious that it is still in the manual. Still learning the voice commands for the car. Sometimes he understands me sometimes not. I think that technology is a long way from perfect for any car. LOVE the bluetooth. No more fumbling for my cell phone. Had the rear two seats occupied (mother in law and wife) and they both complimented the amount of room they had for a third row. A big selling point was that you could get a flat surface when you fold the seats down. That was a big minus for the Lexus. The ride is great on the highway. The truck has great get up and go for weighing 5k+. The biggest complaint is that the cooler box is not tall enough for an 8oz baby bottle.

All and all I am very happy with the decision. Any other lurkers out there that are concerned, be sure and take those concerns to your sales person. Get answers so that they can be held accountable if something does happen.

Bottom line, I am very happy with the decision. Looking forward to contributing.

Last edited by a moderator:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Great write up... and welcome to the board.

T

toddjb123

jefforysm said:
... A big selling point was that you could get a flat surface when you fold the seats down. That was a big minus for the Lexus....

I completely agree with you here. For some reason the value of this "feature" has been overlooked as most cars with fold flat seating...aren't really flat. And then the other SUVs that have flat beds require you to manually remove a 3rd from from the vehicle or fold it up on the side blocking cargo space.

Welcome! Hope you enjoy the vehicle. I'm jealous of your bluetooth! Didn't have it available on my '05 and the aftermarket ones don't seem worth it as it isn't integrated to the car (NAV, stereo # controls, etc.). So, I just use my bt headset.

-todd

D

daytomann

jefforysm said:
All and all I am very happy with the decision. Any other lurkers out there that are concerned, be sure and take those concerns to your sales person. Get answers so that they can be held accountable if something does happen.

Yep, I've already been back to the dealer asking about some issues I've read. So far I am confident its just the "minority" rule.

Youre right about the fold flat seating..its a huge plus for our decision. The closest option for us now is now H3 but the seats dont fold down flat (oh, and it has a major wimp of an engine) The LR3 keeps looking better.

X

xcursion

I couldn't agree with you more. Just passed the 2 week mark myself. Did a 2 hour dash tonight on the highway. With the adaptive headlights on, ipod blasting, cruise control on, looking down and far, it was as comfortable as sitting in the living room. I am a happy man.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 weeks... You're all so cute! The magic start around 4k miles. **** ****

T

toddjb123

I was surprised to look down to day and find I'm at 12,000 miles! Went by quick. No major issues. (just a couple minor annoyances I posted here after my 7500 mile)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4