Tyre Trek Swing Away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Tactical unit, and for the most part it is pretty stout. I do think the round tubing/clamp thing they have going for mounting the tire leaves a little to be desired; I think they tried to strike the best balance they could think of in terms of making it flexible enough for various tire widths and diameters, but I'm not sure that's exactly how I would have done it given the relatively small window of tire diameters that will work on these rigs.

It was also about 8 weeks between ordering and delivery, IIRC. But it seems to work pretty well. Good fitment, and relatively easy installation.

The tire is definitely in the way of the reverse camera (ca. 50% blocked), and I opted for the parking sensors to be drilled; they do not work, I think because they sense the tire is there all the time. If they knew that, I'd think they would have either said as much or changed the location of one or more of the sensors so it would work with the mounted items. But maybe that's not possible.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Kaymar and T44 have very well built designs. I think y'all are trying to see who's D is stiffer.

Anyhow... engineers design bumpers to have some flex. Without it, there's too much dynamic weight that shifts the load to other parts of the truck causing more structural damage. Ever wonder why skyscrapers flex and sway? It flexes to maintain structural integrity. So having it too stiff or flexing much is a bad thing.

Again, they're both great products. They're different in good ways, which gives customers options to buy out of preference.

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think y'all are trying to see who's D is stiffer.
Really? I state my experience with one design without comparing it to any other, and that's your conclusion?

As for the "engineers design" part, it wouldn't surprise me much to find that there was no engineer designing either one. And often just having someone who's good at fabrication is good enough. But I seriously doubt in either case that they are overly concerned with how the stiffness of their bumper might impact the rest of the vehicle: I just don't think that's usually something aftermarket businesses care about.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
That's not my conclusion... that's just what I'm reading. My Aussie kaymar is more stout than T44, and my T44 is USA stout.

To me, an engineer is a person whom designs, builds, and makes modifications to "stuff". When I referred to the "engineer's design", I'm sure the engineer went through several design versions to get to where it is now. I'm willing to bet the first design isn't what it is now.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well at least I got plenty of input. I was avoiding replacing the bumper but I guess that’s still an option. I just don’t like having to move a tire carrier every time to open the tailgate. I figure with a hitch one I could take it off most of the time until I was going on a trip.

For my purposes the T44 would probably be enough if I go that route. I think spending more than $2000 in general is a lot. $3200 seems like a lot. Damn.

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also to hell with the backup sensors. They are useless anyway. My bike rack has been setting them off for six years.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also to hell with the backup sensors. They are useless anyway. My bike rack has been setting them off for six years.
Umm...if you've lived with that for six years, you may want to turn them off with Gap IID tool. That's my plan when I do an ARB front bar. ;)

wallyyfm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m going to pick one up shortly actually, probably at the end of the summer.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72