Tyre Trek Swing Away

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I got into 4x4 vehicles a long time ago, I've had (guessing) around 10 or 11 of them.

And in that time, I'd guess that Kaymar has had an equal amount of different U.S. distributors. ARB has created such a longtime stronghold in the U.S. market but Kaymar comes and goes and comes back again.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe the U.S. distributors in past years didn't perform well enough in terms of service & reliability of supply? Here in Oz Kaymar have a great reputation - one reason they're rated as "the World's best replacement rear bumpers & bars" They really deliver a great product. I'm fortunate to live
close to their Melbourne facility & they fitted my bar/swing a couple of years ago - no third party fitter required. They're not the cheapest but you get what you pay for.

pabs406

Reaction score
Hi RobRover. Does the carrier sit pretty flush to the vehicle? Undecided between the Kaymar and Terraffirma one. Could you post some pix of yours? TIA.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the tactical 4x4 option. I have an older version at this point and they continually update/upgrade the design. But it is great. Really easy to take the swing arms on/off too. Here are images of it without and with the arms.

IMG_20171104_181430_928-X2.jpg

Tire sits very close to the tailgate and looks great. You can adjust the up/down and in/out to adjust for different tires. I run 265/65R18
IMG_20171005_100112-X3.jpg

IMG_2151_HEIC-XL.jpg

IMG_1580-XL.jpg

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tactical 4X4 sits closer to the body and is mounted on an angle. If I recall properly the Terrafirma is about the the same as the Kaymar unit. The Tactical 4X4 construction appears to use less beefy-looking steel components for the wheel mount - round rather than square-section & less braced.

The Kaymar has mounting points for extra gear to be solidly mounted behind the wheel - e.g. a
high-lift jack. I also can carry a canvas bag of firewood.
The rear bumper is wider than the Tactical 4X4 with an alloy plate on top of the actual steel bar.

Kaymar have been updating their rear bar designs for 40 years now - the construction is superb!
We don't see as many Terrafirma or Tactical units here as Kaymar. When I've had a chance to
closely look at the other two I've always been convinced that the Kaymar set-up is better & more
solid. I NEVER get rattles on even the worst rough stuff.
Functionality is more important to me than appearance, but that's just my opinion. I'm sure all three
of these options would serve the buyer well over many great trips.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pricing out a US Kaymar is about $3,100 plus shipping and the T44 is roughly $2,500 spec’d the same with dual jerries, also plus shipping. It’s definitely an investment! But for days I’d be piddling around town, good to know the swings can pop off. Maybe next year….

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I'm too frugal to put down that kind of money. I have the Terrafirma tire carrier and a 15 gallon tank on it. It's been through some pretty rough terrain without any issues or a squeak out it. The swing carrier strut could use an upgrade with the added weight, roughly 200 lbs (full tank, spare, Trasharoo, 5 gallon toilet bucket, and a 1 gallon propane tank).

Attachments

• 20210326_081746.jpg
    20210326_081746.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 42

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'Day CRYA, The US Kaymar price seems way over the top. Unless their price has increased
massively over the past couple of years the price in U.S. dollars should be less than USD$2,500- AND that would include FITTING at their factory. I paid just over AUD$3000- . The US/AUD exchange
rate is around USD 72.5c at the moment, unless there's some kind of premium on the list price for U.S. customers? OR US Import Duties/Taxes?
My total cost included Kaymar's own park sensors (replacing the OE sensors) and mud flaps.
I also note that the Kaymar locking system to secure the spare to the mount is different. You can
use a large padlock inside the mount as well as locking nuts if required.

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm too frugal to put down that kind of money. I have the Terrafirma tire carrier and a 15 gallon tank on it. It's been through some pretty rough terrain without any issues or a squeak out it. The swing carrier strut could use an upgrade with the added weight, roughly 200 lbs (full tank, spare, Trasharoo, 5 gallon toilet bucket, and a 1 gallon propane tank).
Hey if you’re ever in NorCal I’d love to check out your setup! Looks great.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, I have never heard of anyone saying T44 stuff is not beefy or solid. That is hilarious. I am sure Kaymar is great stuff, I have never seen it in person as I don't think you have ever seen T44 in person.

T44 is plenty solid. I have done some rough trails and it doesn't budge or wiggle at all. In my opinion it is probably over built and could be lighter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA