Update for the Owners of this Beautiful Truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update

Dreaded Brake Pad worn light came on again. So that means the rear brake pads need to replaced exactly 14 months and 12k miles later. THIRD rear brake job (2 on the front) since October of 2009 and i have 32K on the vehicle. Ladadidada Ladadidada!! LOL. FYI...i STILL love my truck!!

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that was an informative visit. Mechanic showed me that my next visit will require me to change both rotors. His price would be $1,200 for pads, rotors & labor for the entire car. I am guessing 20% more at the dealership. Today was only $312 for rear pads and labor.

So that means i will have approximately 40-42k on my vehicle before the rotors go. Of course this has alot to do with the way and where you drive. Again i am 85% stop and go NYC traffic and in the beginning i drove it hard. I would think someone who has the reverse in highway traffic should get 20-23K pad life and close to 55-60k rotor life. My 2 cents on this and my personal experience but it makes me feel better to see better numbers because i really felt LR cheated us and did not do their homework on the brake/rotor replacement cost for the consumer. Hopefully they will learn from this because the mechanic states he gets the LR's and RR's all the time for brake jobs.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another expensive update

4 wheel pads, rotors and sensors after 20% discount, inc. tax $1681.52

2 tires mounted and balanced inc. tax $722.93

4 wheel alignment after discount, inc. tax $271.90

The scheduled maintenance (which we’ve already performed) $255.96

Total-$2932.31

Above is an email from the service department regarding my beast and what i am faced with today. My previous post when i went to an independent mechanic for my brake work 2 1/2 months ago? Well he was kind enough to lie to me and put aftermarket pads on my vehicle. Really did not play a destructive part but since he put on aftermarket pads, the dealership will not touch the rotors unless i change them to OEM. So that was $312 ****** away. He just lost a customer and will gain a nice review on Yelp.

I have 34k on my vehicle. 3rd time changing my brakes and first time i am changing the rotors. I spent an hour online last night doing more research since there should be alot more real world data regarding these beasts. Lo and behold, there is nothing out of the ordinary with city driving and the rate i am changing my pads and rotors.

I know there have been many posts regarding brake life and many people are posting some really nice numbers such as going 30k without their 1st change of pads! My hats off to you because i am willing to bet that you are the minority!

I am more experienced with driving this beast now so i am determined (since i have a fresh start on all four corners) to get at least 20k on these pads. The first time i got 12k and the 2nd time i got 14K. The dealership offered me discounts on the work of 20% on the brakes and 10% on everything else and he threw in replacement wipers and rain repellent treatment for my windshield ($150 value) for $50. I should feel so lucky!

So far since Nov of 2009 when i brought my 2010 LR4, i have spent $6,341.15 on brakes, maintenance & tires. Today that is $2,113.72 per year however that is relative to this day as i am determined to make it a year. I believe i can get this down and as always, I will keep everyone posted.

Do not even ask about how much gas I have purchased because i can answer that down to the penny. That is another post. :stupid:

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 wheel pads, rotors and sensors after 20% discount, inc. tax $1681.52

2 tires mounted and balanced inc. tax $722.93

4 wheel alignment after discount, inc. tax $271.90

The scheduled maintenance (which we’ve already performed) $255.96

Total-$2932.31

Above is an email from the service department regarding my beast and what i am faced with today. My previous post when i went to an independent mechanic for my brake work 2 1/2 months ago? Well he was kind enough to lie to me and put aftermarket pads on my vehicle. Really did not play a destructive part but since he put on aftermarket pads, the dealership will not touch the rotors unless i change them to OEM. So that was $312 ****** away. He just lost a customer and will gain a nice review on Yelp.

I have 34k on my vehicle. 3rd time changing my brakes and first time i am changing the rotors. I spent an hour online last night doing more research since there should be alot more real world data regarding these beasts. Lo and behold, there is nothing out of the ordinary with city driving and the rate i am changing my pads and rotors.

I know there have been many posts regarding brake life and many people are posting some really nice numbers such as going 30k without their 1st change of pads! My hats off to you because i am willing to bet that you are the minority!

I am more experienced with driving this beast now so i am determined (since i have a fresh start on all four corners) to get at least 20k on these pads. The first time i got 12k and the 2nd time i got 14K. The dealership offered me discounts on the work of 20% on the brakes and 10% on everything else and he threw in replacement wipers and rain repellent treatment for my windshield ($150 value) for $50. I should feel so lucky!

So far since Nov of 2009 when i brought my 2010 LR4, i have spent $6,341.15 on brakes, maintenance & tires. Today that is $2,113.72 per year however that is relative to this day as i am determined to make it a year. I believe i can get this down and as always, I will keep everyone posted.

Do not even ask about how much gas I have purchased because i can answer that down to the penny. That is another post. :stupid:

Not traying to make feel bad but let me tell you my total cost on brakes/tires/alignment/balance on both my 2008 LR3 and 2010 LR4.
LR3, 2 1/2 years, 10000 miles.....$0
LR4, 2 years (almost) 11,000 miles (bought it with 7000 miles, it was a loaner)......$70 on a tire balance due to a small vibration.
I don't drive much, don't drive like grandpa but also don't drive like Earnhart, I pull a 6500# boat and about 1/2 and 1/2 city/hwy drive. But I still have 75% brake pads left as of last month inspection. I did get new pads and rotors due to a service bulletin at 10000 miles.

Last edited:

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not traying to make feel bad but let me tell you my total cost on brakes/tires/alignment/balance on both my 2008 LR3 and 2010 LR4.
LR3, 2 1/2 years, 10000 miles.....$0
LR4, 2 years (almost) 11,000 miles (bought it with 7000 miles, it was a loaner)......$70 on a tire balance due to a mall vibration.
I don't drive much, don't drive like grandpa but also don't drive like Earnhart, I pull a 6500# boat and about 1/2 and 1/2 city/hwy drive. But I still have 75% brake pads left as last month inspection. I did get new pads and rotors due to a service bulletin at 10000 miles.

It's ok...i do not get mad about these things anymore. I know this truck has varied reports of the wear and tear but i do appreciate the feedback! I still love it but will i buy another one? Hmmmmmm...:)

LR4mywife

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Been following this post for a while, and even given the fact that I've been skeptical of many of the reports about maintenance cost's, I have to admit, you've taken a beating (and I believe you!!!). My story is much similar to Mr. Horacioad's above. I took delivery of my 10 LR4 HSE LUX in July of 2010. It's now over two years old with just about 31,000 miles. I did change the terrible Conti tires out at 26K miles to a new set of Pirelli's Scorpion Verde's (amazing tire and will last longer then the Conti as it's a much harder compound...and even so, it's quiter, better handling and I expect it will be better in the snow). That cost was $1300.00 installed at the dealer (I negotiated the best price I could by showing them the www.tirerack.com price for the tires). At that time, my vehicle needed new rear (oddly enough, the fronts are still fine) brakes. So, that was around $800, along with my recent 30K service of $700. My dealer give me a coupon card that nets me a 20% discount on all service work (not including tires), so the prices I mentioned ended up being lower by 20%. Still pricey (by my standards), but nothing like yours. My driving habits (or I should say, my wife's) are mix of in city, and hwy. We don't tow anything, but we do regularly weigh the vehicle down with 3 kids and weekend gear for getaways. Love the vehicle so far, and looking to move into a 2011 or 2012 full size RR that's certified (CPO) next July when our current LR4 lease is up.

Maintenance be damned, my wife has stated she does not want to drive anything else but an LR or an RR. Her last vehicles were: BMW, Lincoln, and GMC Denali (in that order, GMC Yukon, and a Jeep). It's been our favorite vehicle so far and has not given us any more issues or problems (aside from high maintenance prices) then previously owned vehicles. In fact, I've only been going to back to the dealership when services are due (yearly). One unscheduled stop in two years for a TPM issue that ended up being a "nail in the tire"!!

OH, I did / have experienced the "GPS / Radio" demon you did once or twice. The unit will go black / unresponsive and the only way to resolve it is to shut the vehicle off and wait. come back on normally (usually). It' happened about 4 times in the two years I've had it. The dealer did a software update at last visit and it has not happened since (been a few months). Other then that.....all good!

Good luck,

Joe

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yikes! Been following this post for a while, and even given the fact that I've been skeptical of many of the reports about maintenance cost's, I have to admit, you've taken a beating (and I believe you!!!). My story is much similar to Mr. Horacioad's above. I took delivery of my 10 LR4 HSE LUX in July of 2010. It's now over two years old with just about 31,000 miles. I did change the terrible Conti tires out at 26K miles to a new set of Pirelli's Scorpion Verde's (amazing tire and will last longer then the Conti as it's a much harder compound...and even so, it's quiter, better handling and I expect it will be better in the snow). That cost was $1300.00 installed at the dealer (I negotiated the best price I could by showing them the www.tirerack.com price for the tires). At that time, my vehicle needed new rear (oddly enough, the fronts are still fine) brakes. So, that was around $800, along with my recent 30K service of $700. My dealer give me a coupon card that nets me a 20% discount on all service work (not including tires), so the prices I mentioned ended up being lower by 20%. Still pricey (by my standards), but nothing like yours. My driving habits (or I should say, my wife's) are mix of in city, and hwy. We don't tow anything, but we do regularly weigh the vehicle down with 3 kids and weekend gear for getaways. Love the vehicle so far, and looking to move into a 2011 or 2012 full size RR that's certified (CPO) next July when our current LR4 lease is up.

Maintenance be damned, my wife has stated she does not want to drive anything else but an LR or an RR. Her last vehicles were: BMW, Lincoln, and GMC Denali (in that order, GMC Yukon, and a Jeep). It's been our favorite vehicle so far and has not given us any more issues or problems (aside from high maintenance prices) then previously owned vehicles. In fact, I've only been going to back to the dealership when services are due (yearly). One unscheduled stop in two years for a TPM issue that ended up being a "nail in the tire"!!

OH, I did / have experienced the "GPS / Radio" demon you did once or twice. The unit will go black / unresponsive and the only way to resolve it is to shut the vehicle off and wait. come back on normally (usually). It' happened about 4 times in the two years I've had it. The dealer did a software update at last visit and it has not happened since (been a few months). Other then that.....all good!

Good luck,

Joe

Good stuff on your reporting. I am hoping my maint. drops a bit. I have a feeling it will. It is always nice to see other owners experience with this model. It gives us all hope...and sometimes despair. http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/images/smilies/hmpf.gif

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another Update....Water Leakage

Woke up 2 days ago to see the front pass floor saturated with water. Thought i left a window open but dismissed that in 5 seconds. I was super perplexed. Got some towels to soak up the water (not a small amount at all) and when i drove off i actually heard water sloshing around in the front of the cabin on the pass side. Also saw water coming out of the air bag slot on the passenger side on the upper panel above the pass window. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they determined that the drainage tubes on the top of the vehicle were bad and they will have to take apart the pass side of the vehicle to replace it but they are confident that it will be 100% fixed after they are done. They stated that all electrical wiring and modules are wrapped in water proof casings and nothing electrical had gotten wet and for me not to worry as i was HIGHLY focused on any electrical damage.

First natural black eye for me with the vehicle after 35k and 38 months of ownership. I still love my truck but of all the things....water to knock me down, for a top shelf off-road vehicle.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woke up 2 days ago to see the front pass floor saturated with water. Thought i left a window open but dismissed that in 5 seconds. I was super perplexed. Got some towels to soak up the water (not a small amount at all) and when i drove off i actually heard water sloshing around in the front of the cabin on the pass side. Also saw water coming out of the air bag slot on the passenger side on the upper panel above the pass window. Took it to the dealer yesterday and they determined that the drainage tubes on the top of the vehicle were bad and they will have to take apart the pass side of the vehicle to replace it but they are confident that it will be 100% fixed after they are done. They stated that all electrical wiring and modules are wrapped in water proof casings and nothing electrical had gotten wet and for me not to worry as i was HIGHLY focused on any electrical damage.

First natural black eye for me with the vehicle after 35k and 38 months of ownership. I still love my truck but of all the things....water to knock me down, for a top shelf off-road vehicle.

We had the exact same thing happen to us about 2 months ago (18k miles). I don't think I posted about it. In ours, they actually had to replace some electrical wiring, too, so it's not completely water proof. This problem is not unique to Land Rover, as I had it happen to an old Saab once. Word to the wise: clean out your drainage tubes with compressed air once in a while, especially if you park outside often. You can ask your dealer to do it for you. Everything seems ok now, but I'm going to stay on top of the situation.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had the exact same thing happen to us about 2 months ago (18k miles). I don't think I posted about it. In ours, they actually had to replace some electrical wiring, too, so it's not completely water proof. This problem is not unique to Land Rover, as I had it happen to an old Saab once. Word to the wise: clean out your drainage tubes with compressed air once in a while, especially if you park outside often. You can ask your dealer to do it for you. Everything seems ok now, but I'm going to stay on top of the situation.

I feel alot better knowing that it was not just me...sort of. You would think that LR would have sent out a bullet about this or at the min cleaned them out for you on every service. I was just there less than 4 months ago. I mean for $600+ dollars they could throw that in. :stupid:

Good advice to have the drainage tubes blown out. Lesson learned for sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM