Upgraded exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rctaylor

Reaction score
Anybody got thoughts about upgrading to a MagnaFlow or Flowmaster muffler on a 1999 DII, stock? Potential problems? How much increased power could be expected? More importantly, what about the possiblity of increased gas mileage? Thanks ahead for any thoughts about this topic!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The upgrade will be successfull if you are looking to make the Rover sound better, but don't expect perfromance or fuel economy improvements... It just will not happen without upgrading the ECU, the Intake and maybe a cam.

rctaylor

Reaction score
I'm somewhat auto ignorant. What's the ECU, intake and cam? How do you go about replacing them? Thanks for the info!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
ECU - Electronic control unit... upgrade around $1500 from places like. http://www.rpiv8.com/index.html (lots of engine upgrade info for Rovers)
http://www.rpiv8.com/carbs-4.htm (rechipping the ECU info)

Intake is where the air come into the engine. Cam effects fuel coming into the engine (how long fuel comes in) and exhaust duration (how long the exhaust valves are open to let out the exhaust).

Last edited:

rctaylor

Reaction score
Thanks. I think I'll wait to put in muffler till I can afford to do all this other work. The muffler shop told me to expect about a 20% increase in power but maybe only 1 MPG. Not enough to justify the roughly $300 outlay. I'll wait and do all this other work at another time. Thanks for the info!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
20% increase in Power.... they obviously have no clue about a Land Rover... you will get zero unless you rechip the ECU.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4