vacuum pump dilemma

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnabbott

Reaction score
Hi. I have a 90 with 300 tdi engine. I have owned it for many years & am on a bit of a mission to improve it mechanically after the years of just driving it. I have replaced alternator, drive belt and tensioner, discs pads & calipers & many other bits & pieces too numerous to mention. My latest project relates to the braking efficiency. The pedal is very hard with little vacuum assistance. The standard test for vacuum( switch off, exhaust vacuum then switch on to see if pedal sinks) produces a small deflection. Is it worth replacing the vacuum pump or is there something else I should be looking at. The brakes are poor and there is a sort of chirruping noise coming from engine all the time which seems to be getting slightly worse with time. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum... Let me move this to the Defender section for better response.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM