Very strage noise ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shod

Reaction score
Cruising home yesterday in very light traffic going a steady 70mph... hit a crowded patch and maneuvered around it... hit the gas again and heard this loud griding/warbling noise. let go of the gas and the noise went away. switched to N and hit the gas and no noise. switched to drive and the noise is back. Noise can be heard at any RPM - much louder at lower RPM but still noticeable at higher.

I remembered my voice note feature on my phone and made a recording. the recoding was made off the highway and contains the turn signal tick... its at http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=2e599bec4e2c9dc3e621c437243345b1

What do you think this can be? can I drive to the dealer 20 miles away?

PS there is no loss of power and aside from a rougher feel to the ride there is no diff at all...
its a 05 LR3 v8 with 13k miles.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does it consistently? If so, you probably don't want to drive it until it is fixed.

Are you still under warranty? I would probably call roadside assistance and have them flatbed it to the dealer.

Good luck.
Rich

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had something that sounded somewhat similar -- it was the serpentine belt tensioner. It had gotten loose or broken off.

shod

Reaction score
Just got a call with the verdict (48 hours after the car was towed in)

Its the front differential which is on national back order with no ETA....

:mad:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oy.

Is your car drivable while you wait for the part?

shod

Reaction score
It is but the diff might lock up on me. I asked for a loaner and they did the right thing and got me an LR2 from enterprise.

Its been a while since i averages 18mpg in the city... a long while... :)

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
National back order on front diff's? Wow, I've not heard of ANY front diff's going....except on Range Rovers, but not the LR3's.

FWIW, I had the belt tensioner issue also, that seems more common. So did Land Rover Assitance trailer it to the dealer for you?

shod

Reaction score
Was your noise present in neutral or park? mine was not so the service adviser said its cant be the belt tensioner - has to be in the drive train.

I was told to call road-side... they sent a flatbed. I have to say I am somewhat disappointed at the lack of communication from the service dept. They had my LR3 since Tuesday (Todays is Sat) and still no ETA

shod

Reaction score
3rd week the LR3 is at service and I just got an update that a diff was found in the UK and is being shipped to the US for me. Sounds hard to believe but we shall see... ETA 1 week (no clue how they came up with that...)

If Im lucky Ill have it back after only 4+ weeks at service....

trm2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was your noise present in neutral or park? mine was not so the service adviser said its cant be the belt tensioner - has to be in the drive train.

my belt tensioner issue could be heard in park. so, i think your adviser is probably right.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635